Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA Seat Modification
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello all,

Well after a few attemts to create my own design...I gave up due to lack of time and tools :lol:

Below is what I purchased and installed on my Hobie Pro Angler. No drilling...just purchased some stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers.

Seat slide:
http://www.marineengine.com/products/accessory.php?in=3215502

Some Picts:

- Raises the seat level about 2"...this and the fact that it moves back away from the center hatch allows plenty of access room.

- Did a 5 mile test drive this weekend...handled well and I am happy.

- With the seat higher, allows storage under the seat which is cool for smaller items. Just keep in mind the height of items stored when moving back and forth.

For the price and ease of install...I think it is worth it.

Tight Lines my friends...

Regards, JoeyB

Post subject: Re: PA Seat Modification
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That is extremely cool! Looks like a great modification.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:12 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Very Nice! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sweet. I assume the fore and aft position is adjustable via the lever shown?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Sweet. I assume the fore and aft position is adjustable via the lever shown?

Yes...the lever is on my right...just lift up and shift.

Going to Jordan this weekend to "dunk some minnow's" for Crappie. I have a small cooler that fits perfectly in the center hatch. I use this as my bait bucket and now access, is so much easier.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I really like that this doesn't require any permanent modification to the seat, so if I'm not comfortable with it I can go back to original. Did you try pedaling from different seating positions and did this impact the steering at all? Did you feel like the change in the center of gravity made the boat feel less stable at all? I'm guessing that the additional two inches in height actually makes going from sitting to standing an easier task for the knees?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Excellent description and pics.............very interesting!!!

Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

TDK wrote:
I really like that this doesn't require any permanent modification to the seat, so if I'm not comfortable with it I can go back to original. Did you try pedaling from different seating positions and did this impact the steering at all? Did you feel like the change in the center of gravity made the boat feel less stable at all? I'm guessing that the additional two inches in height actually makes going from sitting to standing an easier task for the knees?

TDK - After researching some options...I had the same thinking...can always go back to original set-up without major cost.

Pedaled from the same position and felt very comfortable being a little higher.
It would appear that the higher you go the less control you would have with steering and stability. With that said, in my opinion...the steering on the PA has always been a little touchy. It is not terrible, just a challenge to stay on course at times. But I attribute that to the size and weight of this rig, especially with all the "STUFF" that we can load on it. Stability seems OK.

One thing I would like to try in the future...is decreasing the pitch of the seat. With it pitched back the way it is...I think this makes it harder to stand up. It also puts a lot a stress on those 2 little "buckles" that hold the straps together.

I have over 250 hrs on this rig since last June...and I love it! Like everything else, just needs some modifications, to make things easier.

mythman - thanks...and you are very welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very nice mod!!!!! I may have to try that. Thanks for doing the research and digging to find this. I'm always having a tough time cleaning around this seat. I can clearly see the advantage to your mod. I simply LOVE it.When we contribute we all win. MJ.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I ordered mine today!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I installed the seat adjuster on my PA last weekend and took advantage of 55 degree temps for my first fishing voyage of the year. Being able to slide the seat back a few inches did make the center storage compartment much easier to access. The adjusment lever was easy to reach and the seat moved with a little push. I admit that the extra seat height felt a little strange at first. I definitely noted the higher center of gravity when leaning from side to side, but once I became accustomed to the feel, I didn't get the sense that this had a major impact on the stability of the boat. When leaning over the side of the boat to place my transducer suction cup, I did have to check-up a bit as I definitely got the feeling that the additional height could allow me to tip the boat more easily, but I managed without issue. That said, leaning to the side while sitting is a move I would recommend being very careful with at first.

The seat height didn't have any impact on my pedaling. The center position for the seat adjuster is right about in the original seat position, so the pedal position I've been using still worked fine. I was worried that the front of the seat would cut into the back of my legs, but that wasn't an issue. My knees appreciated the additional height both for offering a more comfortable positon while sitting and fishing, as well as for a slightly easier time standing up in the boat. I was wearing neoprene waders, so this was already a diffiult chore. I can't wait for warm water!

As joeyb reported, I, too, found the install to be a breeze. In addition to the bolts and washers indicated in the pic above, you also need 4 SS locking nuts (I believe 1/4 x 20, but I'd take your original bolt to test fit) and 4 SS washers to attach the original seat base bracket to the new sliding mechanism using the original bolts. It does take a little maneuvering, patience, and a set of needle nose pliers to get a couple of the nuts in place -- not much room for the fingers. As the pictures above indicate, once mounted the adjuster looks like an original part of the seat.

When re-placing the seat in the PA, for some reason I found it more difficult to get the seat retainer bolts in boat to neatly line up with the holes in the bottom of the bracket (one of the bottom rails of the seat bracket is loose to allow for slight adjustment, but this didn't completely address the issue). I improved the situation by slightly loosening the nuts that connect the seat bracket to the new adjuster, re-positioning the seat in the boat, and then pulling the seat and tightening everything up again. But the fit is still tighter than it was before installing the seat adjuster. I made it work, but I may need to fiddle with this a bit more to keep from marring the threads on the seat retainer bolts every time I put the seat in the boat. I do remove my seat for transport.

Based on my single experience so far, I really enjoyed this modification. I'm really looking forward to testing it out a bit more when the water is warmer and I don't have to worry about taking a dive in the chilly stuff. Thanks for sharing this find, joeyb.

TDK

Last edited by TDK on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the Pictures and the Idea.....I found a Similar seat slide(Identical) but under another name....at Bass Proshop for 52$.....no shipping if you have a local store :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

trout man wrote:
Thanks for the Pictures and the Idea.....I found a Similar seat slide(Identical) but under another name....at Bass Proshop for 52$.....no shipping if you have a local store :mrgreen:

Bass Proshop does sell a similar seat slide, but the price is $54.99 and they don't stock it in the store. You have to order it online, pay for shipping, and wait to receive it. At least thats what they told me when I called my local store...Still ends up being less expensive overall, regardless of shipping preference than the $62.16 from the other manufacturer though. Bass Proshop calls it: Universal Trac-Lock II, Item # 38-540-324-00. I ordered mine and should have it by this weekend :D

For those interested, I found a new type of seat swivel from West Marine
(Seat Swivel 12-Way Locking Swivel, model # 12221792) that looks like it will mount directly on top of the seat slide. I ordered that also, but haven't received it yet. Even if it doesn't allow the seat to swivel much, any swivel is better than no swivel. I use my 09' PA in the open water (bay and ocean) where there is always wind and waves so I don't stand up in it much. And I'm also a big guy without the flexibility in my neck that an owl has, so turning around in the seat, reaching behind the seat to reach my cooler, or even just wanting to see behind me would be much easier if my seat could swivel. Anyway...After I receive, install and try out the new seat slide and swivel, I will post my results.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well, I orderd mine for the $62+shipping, before I saw the post about BPS. However, the two BPS in my area are a long ways off and I probably will come out about the same..............actually save $$$$ as I can't go in BPS without spending $3-500.00! :evil:

I, too, am big and old and have lost a lot of flexibility, but I am leery of the swivel hardware..........afraid that it will sit me up too high..........already a little concerned about the hight of the seat slide hardware.

I should have mine next week and am looking forward to mounting the slide bracket. That center hatch is a bit difficult to reach with my "spare tire" in front of me. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am planing to add this to my New PA as well... even though I won't have my PA for another 3 weeks or so. Here is another link where the price of the seat slide is $52.66 and $11.29 for shipping to Virginia. It only saves a couple of dollars than the Bass Pro price and I never have ordered from them but I thought I would pass it along.

http://www.opentip.com/product_info.php ... anner_id=1

I will probably order from BPS becaue I still have a gift card from Christmas.