Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Now that they're out of production, what was the total # of 17s popped out of the molds and sold? Breakout by SE, SPort, etc...?

Will Hobie commit to parts support (minus hulls) for X number of years?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:31 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The 17 never went out of production. Hobie still does limited production runs of both the 17SE and 17 Sport.

Hobie Cat does not disclose production numbers. However, based on sail numbers, I'd wager that about 5 thousand have been produced.

The 17 shares a lot of parts with the other models - parts have never been a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sail numbers... ahh so... Seriously, I didn't think it was a state secret. I thought Hobie was always a subsidiary of one publicly-traded company or another, and thus would at least have to tell stockholders what was selling and what wasn't.

Only 5,000 eh? And yet the pitchpole-prone, pylon-penetrated deck-delaminating H-16 keeps selling like thongs in Brazil. Go figure.

Anyway, my angle is I'm a between-Prindles guy, thinking about "crossing over" to the "Ho side" in order to "get my wings". :wink: Just wondering how long I could keep a good used H-17 smoking along? Or the seriously rugged H-18?

And I don't agree with Hobie marketing that the radical (and probably spendy) FX-One, with its extreme daggerboards, is the replacement for the H-17 with its forgiving kick-up centerboards. Get real. More like a replacement for the NACRA 5.2...

Thanks for the info. Time for hands-on shopping. This forum is a great real-world database on what to look for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:49 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hobie Cat Co. has been privately owned since 1988 when Coleman sold them off. They haven't ever disclosed production numbers, even when they were owned by a public company.

A good, used boat will last you many years - depending on how well it's been treated. Boats sailed in salt water will age much quicker if they aren't rinsed off regularly. There are Hobie Cats out there that are over 30 years old and going strong.

The 16 appeals to a different market segment. It has evolved into a couple's boat or a parent/child boat (at least in the racing). It's simple design and strong one-design fleets throughout the country keep it going.

The FX-1 is a European boat - it hasn't taken off in the US, where it has competition from established Nacra F-17 fleets, H-17 fleets and now A-cats.

The Hobie 17 is a great boat in heavy air. Almost nothing can keep up with it going to weather. It's a bit of a pig in the lighter stuff, though - especially downwind.

In Florida, opportunities for one-design racing a Hobie 17 are very limited right now. A-cats fleets are growing, but are very pricey. 2 person F-18's (Hobie Tigers, Nacra F-18's) are a popular class in the southeast US.

All depends on what youre willing to spend - a couple grand can buy you a good used Hobie 17, or you can drop $22,000 on a Nacra A2 and wait six months for delivery.

Post subject: Hobie 17
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have really enjoyed rebuilding my 87 Hobie 17. I got Bob Curry to cut me Sabre Pentex squaretop and 190 sq ft reacher that I use when racing Portsmouth. The 17 has GREAT numbers. Just look at some of the race results in the Open classes. We only get enough for class a few times in Div 6, but I am going to race it in the local Wed night races this season against monoslugs in Portsmouth. A fun boat. If someone want to see the finished boat, send me a email.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
dsnell4 at houston dot rr dot com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't know of any cat that's good downwind, it's just not in their nature. Usually make better VMG broad-reaching and jibing, and it's more fun.

But as far as the H-17 off the wind, or broad-reaching, does it have enough buoyancy in the bows to let the traveller out and really drive it, without pitchpoling (assuming you're trapping off the very rear of the wing)? I keep seeing vague references to the H-17 not being as good in the buoyancy dept. as the ol' H-18.

I've had some screaming good times on H-18s; even with 4 on board, it's hard to bury a bow. I just doubt I could right an 18 solo, even with a water bucket, hence the 17 is on my radar.

Post subject: H17
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ReefedOne:

I love my 17. I have had three adults and a 12 yr old and had no trouble moving, even in light air. I have never stuffed a bow in 4 years of sailing and it blows pretty good on the Texas Gulf coast. I have a 190 square foot reacher and a square top becides the stock sail. In 15 and up it is a hoot. Check some of races in Catsailor magazine, it is deadly on high Portsmouth.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
www.tcdyc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My H17Sport is a 2000 with sail # 6198 (also the production #, I believe). 8)