Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am picking up my PA in Maarch. I contected Back Yard Boats here in Virginia and they have everything in Stock. I am trying to figure out how I am going to store it. I have a garage but it is small and there is no room above the garage door so I was think of one of the side walls. this would mean I will have to support it on it's side. Would anyone have any sujections?

I was trying to add some pictures but I could not figure out how so here is a link to a Kayak Hangers.

http://www.suspenzkayakstorage.com/mari ... unted_rack

I have learned a lot from everyone here and I feel more confident in how I want to set up my PA so thank you all...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Meatbucket,

I can't help you on the storage issue but I, too, am supposed to pick up my new 2011 PA on March 12th. Maybe we can get together and fish sometime. I've been told by others that the PA is considered an aircraft carrier in terms of kayaks. What better than a carrier task force of two PA's?

RodBuilder :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rod Builder wrote:
Meatbucket,

I can't help you on the storage issue but I, too, am supposed to pick up my new 2011 PA on March 12th. Maybe we can get together and fish sometime. I've been told by others that the PA is considered an aircraft carrier in terms of kayaks. What better than a carrier task force of two PA's?

RodBuilder :D

The size is why I am asking the question here... I am trying to be preparred before I bring it home.
As for fishing together that would be great. I live in Aquia Harbor so I have easy access to Aquia Creek and I wanted to try some of the lakes out on Quantico. It won't be until the end of March\Early April before I pick up my PA. So we will have ot stay in touch...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

MEATBUCKET wrote:
I am picking up my PA in Maarch. I contected Back Yard Boats here in Virginia and they have everything in Stock. I am trying to figure out how I am going to store it. I have a garage but it is small and there is no room above the garage door so I was think of one of the side walls. this would mean I will have to support it on it's side. Would anyone have any sujections?

I was trying to add some pictures but I could not figure out how so here is a link to a Kayak Hangers.

http://www.suspenzkayakstorage.com/mari ... unted_rack

I have learned a lot from everyone here and I feel more confident in how I want to set up my PA so thank you all...

Good choice on the PA! My brother and I bought PAs from Back Yard Boats exactly a year ago and we had a great time with them last season. I've been out on all three reservoirs at Quantico, but the best fishing has been in Quantico Creek. We launch from the public ramp on Hospital Point. It's tricky to find, but a great spot to go back into the creek or out onto the main river.

I like the look of the wall hangers for the kayak. I'd be a little concerned about the "100 lbs. per boat" weight limit. I'm not sure whether they meant the two brackets together can handle a 100 lbs. boat or if each bracket is able to handle 100 lbs. They look pretty sturdy, so it might be that they meant the capacity of each unit is 100 lbs., so you could hang up to 200 lbs. evenly disributed. I would call and double check the capacity. If they only handle 100 lbs. (50 lbs. per bracket), then I wouldn't be comforatble hanging my boat on that rig. Even with the seat and mirage drive removed, I'm guessing it's still over 100 lbs. The Hobie site says the hull weight is 88 lbs., but I'm not sure what you have to remove to get to that weight. You might ask the folks at BYBs. If you can take off the seat, mirage drive, front hatch liner, center gear bucket, paddle, and anything else easily removable, maybe you can get the weight under the 100 lbs. I store my boat upside down on a lift in my garage, so I remove most everything. Hobie strongly suggests storing upside down, on the side or using some kind of strap mechanism (1 inch strap width minimum) to prevent hull distortion during storage.

For me, the key to storage is to make it easy to load up and get on the water. If it's too much hassle, I'm less likely to have the time and put up the effort to get out on the water often. My setup makes loading the boat easy (20 minutes) and the rack system for transporting on the top of my vehicle, while pricey, makes getting to the water a breeze. I fished more last summer than I have since I was a kid and I expect to do even more this year. I have a few posts on here that show my storage and car rack setups.

I hope to see you on the water this year. We'll be at Quantico and Occoquan often. I hope to visit Aquia and the Rappahanock out of Fredricksburg this year, too. Enjoy!

TDK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

TDK wrote:
I've been out on all three reservoirs at Quantico, but the best fishing has been in Quantico Creek. We launch from the public ramp on Hospital Point. It's tricky to find, but a great spot to go back into the creek or out onto the main river.

I like the look of the wall hangers for the kayak. I'd be a little concerned about the "100 lbs. per boat" weight limit. I'm not sure whether they meant the two brackets together can handle a 100 lbs. boat or if each bracket is able to handle 100 lbs. They look pretty sturdy, so it might be that they meant the capacity of each unit is 100 lbs., so you could hang up to 200 lbs. evenly distributed. I would call and double check the capacity. If they only handle 100 lbs. (50 lbs. per bracket), then I wouldn't be comfortable hanging my boat on that rig. Even with the seat and mirage drive removed, I'm guessing it's still over 100 lbs. The Hobie site says the hull weight is 88 lbs., but I'm not sure what you have to remove to get to that weight. You might ask the folks at BYBs. If you can take off the seat, mirage drive, front hatch liner, center gear bucket, paddle, and anything else easily removable, maybe you can get the weight under the 100 lbs. I store my boat upside down on a lift in my garage, so I remove most everything. Hobie strongly suggests storing upside down, on the side or using some kind of strap mechanism (1 inch strap width minimum) to prevent hull distortion during storage.

For me, the key to storage is to make it easy to load up and get on the water. If it's too much hassle, I'm less likely to have the time and put up the effort to get out on the water often. My setup makes loading the boat easy (20 minutes) and the rack system for transporting on the top of my vehicle, while pricey, makes getting to the water a breeze. I fished more last summer than I have since I was a kid and I expect to do even more this year. I have a few posts on here that show my storage and car rack setups.

I hope to see you on the water this year. We'll be at Quantico and Occoquan often. I hope to visit Aquia and the Rappahannock out of Fredericksburg this year, too. Enjoy!

TDK

I just got back from BYB and put a deposit down on the PA. Can't wait! My buddy is getting the Outfitter Tandem so you will probably see us out there. I don't know where Hospital point is, is it on the Base?
That is a very good point on the weight limit I was assuming that it meant 100lbs each but it does not say that. I'm not sold on them I was just trying to get an idea if that style of support would work.

I hope we do see you and your brother out there. Have you ever fished the Shad run in the Occoquan river. I'm a Bass man but they are a lot of fun.

The Rappahannock is one that I want to fish as well. Especially above Fredericksburg where the Smallies live. I will fish my normal waters that I have with my aluminum boat; Shenandoah, Upper Potomac, The James with the PA.

Thanks for the advice and Good Fishing to you and I hope to see you out there.
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good for you! You won't regret it.

We have never fished the shad run, but a neighbor has fished shad on the Rappahanock around teh Route 1 bridge and we will likely give it a try this year. We've caught lots of bass in Qauntico creek, there are some big fish in that water. The Hospital Point boat ramp is on base at the northern most end of the base. If you drive through town toward the Quantico Marina and turn left of River Road, it will take you into some of the base buildings on that end. I guesss there used to be a hospital in that area, thus the name. There are signs that point to the boat ramp. It's open to the public -- no launch fees. It gets crowded with bass boat trailers on the weekends, but there's usually room to find a place to park.

I think the rig you are considering for storage looks promising. Storing the PA on its side cradled in the straps seems like a great option for our application. She is a heavy beast, so make sure you can get the PA into the cradles withouth causing a hernia.

Good luck and we'll see you on the water!

TDK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I have storage issue to. My solution so far is show below but I asked questions about this in a recent post.

Just thought you would be interested.

CU Glenn

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Au0x90iEMQ[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

cgmorg wrote:
Hi,

I have storage issue to. My solution so far is show below but I asked questions about this in a recent post.

Just thought you would be interested.

CU Glenn

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Au0x90iEMQ[/youtube]

Thank you for that info... I was at the dealer yesterday and he was telling me to use thick foam to support the boat. Thanks again and Good Fishing to you...