Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Surf Entry
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello, Looking at buying a Pro Angler but need to know how they handle surf entry.

Post subject: Re: Surf Entry
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There are a couple of things to remember when Kayaking in the surf. First, make sure everything is attached. Including the drive. I can't tell you how disappointing it is to loose your mirage drive, not to mention expensive. I have seen it too many times. The second thing to remember is to never "hang out" in the impact zone. Once you enter the water immediately jump in your boat and pedal your tail off until you get to the outside. The same is true for coming in from a day of fishing. Once you exit the boat get out of the water fast. Remember the Pro Angler is a big boat and can knock you around pretty good. Next, always stay between the wave and the boat, never between the shore and the boat. If all heck breaks loose and it will at some point you want to the boat to wash ashore with out having to run you down in the process. Trust me, the boat is resilient. If the waves get too big during reentry don't be afraid to prematurely get out of the boat before the impact zone and basically let it ride. Things can get broken but at least you will be safe, but wear your PFD if this happens.

www.LiquidSurfandSail.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:31 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Ditto what liquid surf said. Get in and paddle like you stole it until you are outside the surf zone.

Coming in I pull the pedals, raise the rudder and paddle in. Without the rudder and pedals the PA can track or even drift without flipping. When the surf is too big, I jump out, hang off the back end and swim the kayak in. My body acts like a drift anchor and keeps the kayak straight and upright.

Don't be afraid, don't be stupid.

Wear your pfd

Ted

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info. I think I will get a Outback to go with the PA. That way I will have a back up if surf is rough. I will be going to Va. this weekend to pick them up. I hope to get down to Jupiter Fla. in march and get used to the PA in surf. The water is way to cold here for me to get the PA in surf.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

God bless you guys doing a surf launch with the PA.
I've done it in a Sport,Revo, and Outback; but the PA is a bit much for me.
I'll go anywhere with it, but I know my limitations.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:08 am 
Hobie Team Member

Ive seen Theo above ride his PA in sideways.....he should have rolled but it just kept going all the way to the beach.... :shock:

Don't lead me to temptation, I already know the way.
Syn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:10 am 
Hobie Team Member

Yea, that ride was fun. I want to practice without gear to perfect the drift but the water is too cold right now.

Late last summer I was tempted to try it after an offshore trip but had so much gear that I chickened out and swam in to be safe.

I general, I really like the PA for both launch and landing. If conditions look dicey, it is so easy to clear the deck by throwing everything into the front locker where it is safe if I flip. I have literally thrown pliers, scissors, knife, radio, phone, headlamp, hat, tackleboxes and empty beer cans in there in less than 15 seconds. Once the deck is clear, I have little concern about waves. They may get me wet but they can't really hurt me.

The other thing I have noticed that is not mentioned here is the PA has a tail shape that lifts nicely in trailing waves. My other yaks have tails that pierce into the waves and the wave hits the milk crate of gear full force.

The PA is a good offshore kayak as does fine in surf. Get out and play. It will surprise you.

Ted