Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am looking to get into "the Hobie way of Life" by buying a used Hobie 16.

what should i look for when looking at a used boat, and how old should i be willing to go? I am going to look at a 1986 this weekend, and i am wondering if this is still the same boat they make today, and would it be competitive if i got into racing it.

What is a good value for a boat this old?

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:05 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The key item to avoid in an older boat is delamination - soft spots. If you can make the deck / hull noticeably deflect by pushing on it with the palm of your hand, then just walk away. It's not worth it.

Is an '86 the same boat they make today? Well, yes and no. The hulls are the same shape; the big parts are mostly the same. However, there have been many small changes over the years. Individually, they are insignificant, however, there have been so many that the cumulative effect is significant. Many of these changes don't affect performance, but significantly improve the boat's reliability and durability.

How much is an '86 worth? It depends - was it stored inside? Or left on a beach? Does it come with a trailer? What shape are the sails in? The trampoline? Sailed in salt water or fresh? You can see there are a lot of variables. Most '86s in average shape will go for ~$1,500 with a trailer.

Will an '86 be competitive? Again it depends, but probably not without a lot of $ put into it. Biggest item will be new sails, and maybe new rudders. Those items will cost more than what you spent on the original boat. You'll need to glue the frame together to get it stiff enough. Even so, those will only get you to the middle of the fleet in the most competitive events. To get to the top end, you'll need a relatively new boat (less than 5 years old).

I don't want to discourage you from doing this - on the contrary, an '86 in decent condition is a good "starter" boat for getting into racing. It will have a Comptip, rake-adjustable rudder castings and low-profile mainsheet blocks - key requirements for racing. You'll be able to learn how to start and get around a race course - honing technique and sailing skills. Once you've got that down, you can move into a newer boat and take your speed up another notch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MBounds,

Thanks for the thorough reply, that is what I was hoping to hear. I don't want to spend too much in the beginning. If this boat is in good shape, then it is an affordable way to give it a try, and if i get hooked, then i won't have a problem spending later.

The one i am looking at does have a trailer, and is less than what you suggested, so i feel good knowing that now. I have owned a couple of boats, and should be able to tell if there are any glass issues. Lets hope it goes well.

Appreciate the help.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Coral...I have a 86 H16 I picked up in 2000. If the hulls are sound, then full speed ahead. My boat came with an aluminum Trailex trailer, best $1,200 I've ever spent. You're gonna have a blast!