Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I usually land at (concrete) launching ramps. I would like to put the cart under the boat to avoid dragging it over the concrete. However, the cart is very buoyant. I am not strong enough to life the kayak by one arm high enough above the water to insert the cart legs in the scuppers. When the kayak is in the water, you really can't roll it on its side.

Has anyone else had this experience? Solutions?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim,
This is often discussed in the AI/TI forum and a search there will yield lots of info. The simplest method is to stand beside the hull and insert the cart, reaching under while in knee deep water. It's easier if the ama are left extended and not folded into the hull. If you have the Trax2 balloon wheels you can add water or liquid tyre sealant (like Slime) to the tyres to reduce buoyancy.
An alternative is to carry a narrow length of mat. Remove the mast, bungee the ama in and roll the AI on its side using the mat for protection on the boat ramp.
I prefer the first method and often drag the AI and TI up the ramp with ama extended and mast still in place. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Remove the mast, bungee the ama in and roll the AI on its side using the mat for protection on the boat ramp.

I use the mast to help tip the hull over onto its side.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am similar to stringy's 1st option. an additional little tip is to place your foot on the wheels and keep them submerged. I also place the hand (finger) that I have holding the TI in the scupper hole that I am aiming for; I find it helps me find the hole. It is kind of like closing your eyes and touching your noes - you just know where it is!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Like Stringy, I insert the cart while in knee deep water.

I slide the cart along the hull (from the rear) until the cart arms are along the scupper holes I intend to use, then simply push the cart cross bar downwards and insert the arms straight up.

Ensure you insert the cart relatively straight or you might puncture the walls of the scupper holes as experienced by Flaneur - viewtopic.php?f=71&t=33359&hilit=scupper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jimcubie wrote:
I usually land at (concrete) launching ramps. I would like to put the cart under the boat to avoid dragging it over the concrete. However, the cart is very buoyant. I am not strong enough to life the kayak by one arm high enough above the water to insert the cart legs in the scuppers. When the kayak is in the water, you really can't roll it on its side.

Has anyone else had this experience? Solutions?

Jim - either fill the beach type wheels approx one third full of water and reinflate to the normal (low) pressure, or alternatively, why not just use the standard hard surface wheels if you usually land on concrete???
I removed the Trax beach wheels off my original Trax cart, drilled a couple of holes in the axle and using split pins and washers, I could switch between beach or standard wheels as circumstances necessitate :) :wink:
Now you will find it possible to insert or remove your wheels whilst on top of the boat, shortly before landing or after launching.
If you choose to use standard wheels and adapt this method, you need to very careful you don't let go of the cart until it is locked in or it will sink ! :o

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I haven't tried this because I don't have the large wheels but what if you clipped a strap or rope with a loop at the end to the axel and put one foot in the loop. When you stepped down on the loop it would hold the wheels underwater until you moved the boat over the tubes then lift the foot and let the tubes rise up into the scupper holes. May not work just wondering if someone has tried it. As far as the regular wheels sinking. I added just enough floatation to the upper crossbar to make it bouyant so if it came untied or I dropped it it would float.