Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a new 2011 TI. While sailing last weekend, the steering became erratic, and when I checked back on shore the starboard steering line had developed at least 2 cm of slack. I will take this up at the rudder end, but is there anywhere else this could have come from? Could an attachment at the rudder control have slipped?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There could be a couple of reasons this happened. The first thing to check is always whether both down controls are cleated down. If one or the other is loose or comes loose then it will cause the rudder to be sloppy in the back. And due to its off axis rotation for up and down it will cause the steering to literally go crazy. After that check the connections on the rudder, sometime they have been known to slip but that is rare unless you have tinkered with it in the past.

www.LiquidSurfandSail.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had checked that the rudder down controls were cleated. I wasn't able to check the position of the rudder cos it was choppy and blowing pretty hard and I had a slightly nervous passenger. I hadn't fiddled with the lines. When I checked the screws on the rudder the lines were properly installed and the screws tight. I have taken up the slack, and it seems OK for now.
Is there a diagram anywhere of the setup of the steeering lines inside the boat? And are there attachments inside that could work loose? I am also looking ahead and thinking that eventually these lines will have to be replaced. Has anyone done it? Looks like it might be a killer job. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have never replaced the lines on the TI, but I have on pretty much everything else. Believe it or not it isn't that bad (after you have done it once or twice). The only other thing I can think of is maybe on of the blocks (pulleys) came loose from the boat hull. I have seen this happen on the Pro Angler. Each up/down handle has a block attached in front of the pull handles. Check and make sure they are still attached to the side of the boat. If one isn't sometime they will be less easy to pull, and will feel rough or like they are caught on something.

www.LiquidSurfandSail.com