Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone sail around Cape Lookout, NC? I just bought my first Hobie 14, and i have a place on Harkers Island, so i will be sailing down there this spring/ summer. Thanks.

I live in Chapel Hill, so i will also be down at Jordan Lake. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I camp on Cape Lookout every fall.
In fact My great grandfather started fishing their in the 30's, and my grandfather went every year for 52 years. I am carrying on the tradition.

Have you sailed there yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hokiefan2008 - there is a regatta coming up this weekend in Columbia, SC. The Outback Cup is a great event with around 100 boats participating (usally 20-30 cats). Here's the link to the area sailing group - http://www.emsa-sailing.org. More specifically, here's the link for the Outback Cup - http://www.columbiasailingclub.org/lmyr ... /index.htm.

I also live in Chapel Hill and sail my H-16 at Jordan Lake. If you want further information on Outback, let me know.

devojr at NC dot RR dot com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For all you central NC HC sailors- how is Jordan Lake? Please give me the details- fees, best put-in spot, beach access, wind conditions, etc.

I am out east in Washington and would like a change from the shallow, brackish, Pamlico so am thinking of hopping on 264 and making the 2+ hour drive to Jordan Lake for some fresh water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jordan is a good body of water but in the summertime it can get heavy boat traffic on the weekends - shouldn't be a problem now. The best spot to launch is Vista Point where they have a 'sailboat' only ramp (with a beach connected for easy rigging). Here is the link for the lake http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/jord/home.html. Fees are $5 per vehicle. Wind conditions are same as every other NC lake - usually really good or really bad. (The park website does have a hotline for checking current wind conditions).

What type of boat do you sail on? I have an H16 and we're just a stones throw from the lake. If you're heading over sometime drop me an email ([email protected]) and maybe my crew and I will join you.

David
H-16 80244

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have an '86 H16 I picked up this Spring. Been sailing and slowly upgrading it all summer- been waiting for the little trap blocks from Hobie forever so haven't tried trapping yet.

I'm retired I so can sail during the week. I have a swim meet this weekend but may try Jordan next week.

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

aschaffter - there is an informal regatta taking place at Jordan Lake on Saturday, November 3rd at Vista Point. It looks like we'll have 7+ H-16's. We'll start the races around noon and go until 4:00 (with hotdogs and hamburgers to follow). Entrance fees are a whopping $10 a boat and, with the help of a sponsoring Hobie dealer from Florida, there should be some prizes and such for the winners.

Hope to see you there! (Pass the word to any other H-16's in the area).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Regenerating this thread to see if there is a chance we can get some Hobie racing on Jordan. I have seen a whole bunch of HObies in the area and personally would love to get folks together for some fun racing and try to get more participation in Hobie sailing. I will hopefully have 2 working 16's by summer so would gladly lend one out if a skipper needs a boat for a day of racing at the lake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Was going to post something soon in the new Division 9 forum to NC Piedmont area cat sailors. Haven't because water temps are cool yet. Lots of cat sailing around here, but a whole lot of fragmented interest. Open to suggestions...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

a friend and i bought a hobie 17 a few years ago, but since fatherhood came along it has become a lawn ornament. i would love to become more familiar with the boat and racing behind other hobies would be a great way to do so. I will try and post if the weather looks good and i get a window of time to go sailing. i launched from vista pt once and would head there again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Scott-m I will be launching from Vista 90% of the time. Will try and get some folks from here together for a day of sailing sometime in early May perhaps

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wish it wasn't so far from little Washington!

'86 H16, Sail #89057

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Same here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I was looking around the net for info on hobie's and found this forum/post. I happen to live in Cary. Is there any chance that I could tag along as dead weight one boat trip for y'all that go out to jordan lake so I could see what a hobie is like?

[email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Gonna be a bunch of us out at Jordan may 15th will send email, you are welcome to come along