Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took my new i9s out for it's first voyage yesterday here in Arlington, TX. What an awesome boat! Even caught a nice bass! I'm looking forward to adding accessories and applying the fixes posted by others in this amazing forum.

My only gripe is that I sat in a small puddle of water for the whole trip. My shorts and lower shirt were soaked. So was the boat's seat. I never actually saw any water coming in from anywhere. Wind was low and water fairly calm. Scuppers were open. However, I did launch with wet feet/sandals. I had to drive home sitting on my dry bag!

Is this normal? Some threads here talk about how dry this boat is. Did I not get enough air pressure in the floor? It felt nice and hard to me.

Fishing mostly in N. Tx.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:23 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It seems there is always a little water sneaking in from scuppers, drivewell, wet feet, rain, etc., and it likes to collect right under the seat! A couple of cut-up gym mats (or some similar dense foam) under the pad will elevate it slightly. It's not perfect, but seems to keep the puddles away.

Congratulations on your new boat! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might try sitting on the older style boat cushion. About 2 inches thick. Works real well to keep dry. If you have on pants you will still get water on the legs, but not on the butt. I place the cushion under the hobie seat so I am sitting on the padded hobie seat and not the cushion. Also that help keep the cushion locked into place.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah I noticed the wet butt problem some where else on the forums before purchasing my i14t. Took her out and got wet butt too. The seats make you ride just little higher than the deck but not enough to keep you above the minimal amount that splashes in. Easy fix though. I bought a kid's kick board. You know the one that kids use when they learn to swim (link below). Best part about it is that it's yellow and matches the yak plus it's curve in the back is nearly the same as the front of the hobie kayak seat. Things were cheap too, only about 6 bucks a piece. Gives about an inch to inch and a half of clearance. Hope this helps my soggy bottom friends! :lol:

http://www.aqua-gear.com/Speedo-Junior- ... -p658.html

(Not promoting aquagear.com it's just the site that I found a kids yellow kick board)