Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The wife and I took a demo ride this morning. Enjoyed it greatly and think we're on the right track.

The model we drove was a 2004 Outback and having never Kayaked I did get wet once but the learning curve was fairly rapid.

More questions obviously.

She who must be obeyed says she wants her own boat so tandem no longer under consideration. The question now is two outbacks or one outback and one adventure with possibility of a closeout price on two of the 04 outbacks, (sitting at 2400 the pair right now with a suspicion it could go lower).

I'm heavy weighing at 250 right now but aspirations to get down to the 220's. Shop owner said I might be at the upper limit of what's comfortable in the Outback. Is the Adventure more stable for a heavier pilot with its' extra length or is the Outback better because of more width?

I'm tending toward one of each to have the fishing and rodholding capability with the Outback and speed with the Adventure when fishing not an issue. I tend to go for the newer model year whenever possible although this will probably cost $800 to $900 more, (two 04 OB's vs 1 06 OB plus 1 06 Adv)

I also suspect there have been changes with the 06 Outback over the 04 model and wonder if someone could tell me what they are and are they worth having?

I'll be ordering something the first of the week so would appreciate lots of input. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

To start with I would get the latest models because of changes that may be modest but they are improvements. If you think you will fish at times I would definitely get the fisherman versions. Sorry it costs a bit more but you will see its worth it.

If you wish to cruse long distances by your self at times I would get the Outback Fish and the Adventure Fish.

Good Luck and keep in tuch, :D

By the way you have this posted in two places, is it April fools? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I vote for getting two Adventures, but if you decide to get an Outback, get the latest model with the large front hatch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:23 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Since you are negotiating on price and your dealer is motivated to get rid of one of his old inventory, you must realize he also has a margin to play with on the Adventure. He may discount both just to get rid of one old Outback. In any event, you have more leverage buying 2 instead of one!

Whereas the '06 Outback has been redesigned, they're basically the same boat. One difference is the newer one has a higher dealer cost so your dealer has less to work with. In the grand scheme, the differences are small: same basic performance, dimensions Mirage drive, equipment, warranty -- what's the price difference vs. the latest hatch design?

There is no difference between the fishing vs. regular models except color, anchor, cooler, wheels -- and about $120. If you need all those things, perhaps it's worth the $; otherwise you can get them later as a "sportsman's kit" or individually. Even so, would you want to pay for 2 kits? I'm sure the Fishing versions are great, but if you're watching your wallet, there isn't anything you can't piece together later (unless you're set on green or orange fishing colors).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Roadrunner, :lol:

Don’t forget the extra pole mount on the Fish models.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an 05 Outback and am very satisfied. I knew the 06 was updated but did not think they were worth the extra $$ vs. the deal I got on the 05. As far as the fishing package goes...skip it...you can purchase everything in the package for much less. As far as the extra "pole mount" that was mentioned...the older design has four rod holders...do you really need a fifth?!

My only concern about the 04's you're considering is whether they've been stored properly for all that time...but if you are dealing with a reputable retailer...you should be OK...but I would want to know how/where they've been stored.

There was also mention of the "big hatch" on the front of the new Outback. You can't get in those things when you're on the water! You can try to lean forward and squat over your Mirage Drive unit, pop the lid and reach inside...but really, unless you get to shallow water and step out to access...or just come ashore to get inside...or if you just use it for storage space to access from land (camping gear), I wouldn't use the hatch as the determining factor on which model you purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Alexcomp-I would have to question your dealer as far as the weight issue goes. The Outback has a weight limit of 400# where the Adventure has a 350# limit. 250# does not present a problem in either boat unless you plan on carrying over 100 extra pounds in the Adventure or 150# in the Outback. Soooo, heavy actually favors the Outback a little.
I have seen 300 pounders in both. Get what ya like!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

alexcomp wrote:
The model we drove was a 2004 Outback and having never Kayaked I did get wet once but the learning curve was fairly rapid
If you like to have a wet butt, get the Adventure. If you want a high and dry trip, get the Outback. The Outback is easy to turn in tight spots, the Adventure, well, you may have to paddle backwards to get out of tight jams. If distance traveled is more important that just getting out, then get the Adventure. I love my Outback.