Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H17 and Pitchpoling
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, I'm thinking about buying a Hobie 17. I singlehand most of the time, so I think the H17 might be a good fit. My question is, how does the H17 compare to other catamarans in terms of its resistance to pitch-poling? Specifically, how does it compare to a Hobie 16?

Post subject: Re: H17 and Pitchpoling
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:04 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The 17 is much more resistant to pitching than the 16. That's not to say you can't do it - it's just a bit harder to do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree totally with Mbounds, the H17 is much more pitchpole resistant than the H16. You can drive the H17 much harder in a blow, concentrating on speed instead of survival. When I owned my H16 I usually held all 3 of our group's seasonal records for capsizes (first, most in one day and most in a season). Now with the H17 I capsize about once a season and only in sever conditions. Of course the flip side (pun intended) is when you do pitchpole it is quite spectactular. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This raises an interesting question for me how would the H17 handle the surf compared to the H16 since its less prone to pitchpoling would it also handle the surf better?

10 Mile Surfside, Texas
Join us on our Facebook group: Surfside Sailing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hard to beat the H14 and H16 for sailing surf. No centerboards or daggerboards to worry about.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Handle the surf better in what way? Yea, the 17 is probabaly a little less likely to pitchpole on the return trip in to the beach. But, on the way out, not having a jib can be a real detriment if the wind is light or onshore. Plus the wings can make jumping on the boat tricky. And you have to deal with centerboards (not too bad on the 17 though).

sm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I should of said a H17 sport you need a jib to cut thru the surf. The H16 is surf king imho but the the truth is once you get past the surf on a H16 you want more power and to point higher. I always wanted a H17 Sport when I had my H16 but I could never find one for sale. I have a H18 now that I have not taken to the beach yet but it already seems like a beast to move around load/unload and I cannot solo it. A 17' boat with centers sounds ideal so I was wondering how the H17 cuts thru surf. I emailed a local H17 sailor and they think it would do fine.

10 Mile Surfside, Texas
Join us on our Facebook group: Surfside Sailing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The H17Sport should be great for cutting through surf, you just have to deal with the centerboards when launching and landing. Launching into an on shore breeze would be the most difficult (duh). The great thing about the H14 & H16 is that you can run up onto the beach without much prep and launching into an onshore breeze is easier, though you do give up some pointing ability. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Having sailed 14T's and 16's off the beach for (shock!) 27 years we recently got a 17S to replace the 14T (hulls splitting at the seams where the alloy plates are inside). The 17s is so much better to get out through the waves, due to the centreboards giving better drive and angle (and which you don't have to worry about as they kick up), but also mostly due to the increased volume, and the way the volume is distributed. The distribution means the effective length of the boat is increased, and thus it pitches less in the waves, and thus maintains drive. This is especially true when faced with big waves and not much wind, as we frequently are.

Coming in, when the waves are big enough we just surf in with the boards up, even directly into the wind. Here the volume distribution works against you, as you have to bury the transoms into the wave to stop the bows digging in and steering the boat, but even so I've not had any problems yet.

I've always loved the 14's and 16's, but they behave like boats 3 feet shorter, compared to more "normal" cat hull shapes, which is why they are great at surfing.