Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My son and I have installed the larger sailing rudder and it pops out of the water in right turns and at higher speeds. Any solution?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Depending on the year model. Newer boats have a cleat to hold the rudder down. Pull the down control line and cleat to hold. Older models can be adjusted. The control lever has an over-center cam action. The down line needs to be tight and the up line slightly loose when the rudder is down.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same problem on my maden voyage with the i14t. I was frusterated at first because it seemed like I could only steer sharply in one direction. But a couple minutes later I realized I hadn't cleated the rudder down, I fixed the problem and the steering was perfect. Boy did I feel like a noob! :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same problem my first time out in my i14t but the fix was not so simple as using the cleat. There is interference between the stern of the boat and the sailing rudder such that it won't go past a certain point. I'm committed to only turning left or only turning right depending on which side of the stern the rudder is on when I cleat it down.

I went back to Next Adventure Paddle Sports and it appears that there is the same interference when the sailing rudder is mounted on another mirage drive inflatable they had on display. I think it was an i14t but it could have been the i12 we were looking at.

Second time out I used the regular rudder. No interference but difficult steering in more rate winds to say the least.

Will upload photos to this gallery shortly: http://craigstrong.smugmug.com/Other/Ho ... 019_HHsFD5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The large sailing rudder needs to be modified to work on the i-series kayaks, just trim a longer notch in the rudder with a file, in the future we plan to offer a rudder that is already modified from the factory - but right now that easy modification is what's required to make it function properly - sorry for the hassle.