Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway vs 17 Sport
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have been looking for a Getaway for some time and recently became aware of the 17 Sport. It is boomless like the Getaway and has wings. Other than the front mesh it seems very similar. Can anyone tell me the difference in performance between the two?

Post subject: Re: Getaway vs 17 Sport
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have heard that they do not carry weight very well and with a couple 200 pounders on board they are pretty slow. Like I said that is hear say, I have no experience with them. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Getaway has larger rotomolded hulls and a tramp in the front. It will carry more crew and cargo weight. Good for groups and relaxing outings with good performance.

The 17 is faster, has fiberglass hulls and is built for performance. Depends on the type of sailing you want to do. The wings are on both so that seating comfort would be similar.

If you know anyone who could take you out on a Getaway then go out on a fiberglass cat you would be able to compare.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Read this topic someone else started about the H17 and then you decide whats best for you.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/forums/view ... opic/12360

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 17 Sport is a design that was based off of the 17 SE. The 17 SE was designed as a high-performance, fiberglass hulled single-hander. The hulls, sail, and rig of the 17 Sport are identical to the 17SE with the exception of the added jib hardware and the removal of the boom. The 17 and 17 Sport are ideally suited to one or two people max. The hulls simply don't have the volume to support more than two average size adults (over 300lb and performance really begins to suffer). The boat will sit very low in the water and just feels "stressed" with too much weight.

The Getaway is designed as a family oriented, roto-molded polyethylene, pleasure cat. Plenty of space and hull volume for extra people and cargo and reasonable performance. What the Getaway lacks in performance, it makes up for in user friendly features, capacity, and durability.

If you want performance, durability, and carrying capacity, the 18 would be another boat to strongly consider.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also note the H17Sport is not boomless, it has a boomlet. Not a big difference, that is, until the boomlet hits you in the head on an unscheduled jibe (as happened to me once, only once, but that was enough). I have much respect for that boomlet. My H16, with its boom and noisy gooseneck gave ample warning of an 'oops' jibe, not so with the boomlet, it's warning comes with a 'wack' attached. The H17, being so close to the water is also a wetter ride, especially with 2 aboard.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Having had a 17 SE and now owning a Getaway, I
liked them both for different reasons. the getaway
is less maintenance, and obviously slower. my 17
had a boom and no jib and I sail mostly singlehanded.
the wings on the 17 are lighter and the sockets in the hull
can be a concern. the centerboards on the 17 are nice but
the springs are very expensive so don't lose them..for casual
sailing the getaway is fine and I'm very happy with it. the 17
is more exciting, both are fun to trap of wings

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Would be nice if the Getaway and Wave had some options to make them faster. As a family gets older for example, a boom would be fine. Not sure what else could be done. A larger jib might be easy, not sure about the mainsail though (would need a taller mast?).
Conversely, the H18 with wings and a shorter mast and smaller sail would be a nice family boat.