Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie question
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all!
New cat sailor here, and I have a question that I haven't seen answered here before. I recently bought a '77 H14 and am in the process of getting it ready for the season. My question is this. Can you sucessfully trap without a jib? I'm 6'2" and weigh 160 lbs. I can't afford to upgrade to the turbo, it would cost almost double what I payed for the boat. However, buying the trap wires and dolphin striker would be within my budget. I was given a free trap harness, so that'd be one less item to purchase. I guess I'm asking if there's enough main sail area to be able to trap without the jib sail. Any help would be appreciated greatly.
Also, if there's any H14 sailors in the Stanwood, WA area, I would love to get together and go sailing. I've read the forums and several books, but I think I would greatly benefit from watching someone sail first hand. Thanks for the help!

Post subject: Re: Newbie question
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just sold my 14T with the jib and am 6'1" about 180lbs, I had the trap wires and wore my harness but rarely trapped out, just using the hiking straps on the tramp if you have them should be more then enough, alot depends on how much winds you are sailing in, I have seen videos and pics of a 14 sailing with no jib with people on the trap but as a new Cat sailor it's gonna be a while before you should be hitting winds that hard, also just sailing at first will be alot to get use to without having to worry about learning to get out on the wire. I'm guessing you spent about $700 on the boat so I would Take your money and replace the rigging just for peace of mind and learn to sail the boat, as your ability improves you will start sailing harder and harder, and by that time you will decide where your money will be best spent, also keep in mind no matter how well you maintain your boat things will need to be replaced or repaired, ie. capsize and put a foot through the sail, forget to remove the pin from the mast base and it breaks, and stuff like that. I had my tiller crossbar crack at the adjuster and had to replace the whole bar. so again my advice is hold on to your money for now and add to the boat as your skill level increases because then you will know where for your sailing style the money will be best spent

Post subject: Re: Newbie question
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:21 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Trapezing on the 14 is harder than any other Hobie Cat - not because there's not enough power (there's plenty of that) - it's because it's so weight sensitive.

It's not a forgiving boat in that regard. You'll spend a lot of time swimming until you really learn what you're doing.