Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am a new Hobie i14T (2011) owner. I have had the kayak out on the water a few times and have enjoyed it very much. However, there is a problem with the steering control. The control is very firm, but sometimes becomes extremely tight (especially turning to the right), eventually requiring two hands to move the lever. I'm not the strongest guy around, but I know it should not be this difficult.

I tried lubricating the ends of the lines with dry silicone without success. It was suggested that I might allow a small amount of slack into the lines at the rudder end by adjusting the amount of line wrapped around the rudder screws. However, the length of the rudder lines barely allows for them to wrap once around the screws. They are tight and the tension cannot be loosened at all.

I spoke with my dealer (halfway across the country) and with Hobie representatives. They suggested that since the kayak is under warranty, I can send it in to be adjusted or repaired. I tried contacting a couple of local Hobie dealers, but none are currently available to check it out for me. I thought that before parting with the kayak for a few weeks, I might try changing the Spectra rudder lines . The Hobie rep I spoke with was kind enough to send a length of Spectra line for that purpose.

Searching the forums, user manuals and other web sites, no specific instructions for replacing the lines on a Hobie inflatable seem to be available. I was hoping someone who has performed the line replacement on a Hobie inflatable would clarify the procedure.

It appears the only way to accomplish the task is to tie the new lines to the ends of the original lines and pull them through to the opposite end. Would it be best to tie the new lines to the controller end or to the rudder end before pulling them through? I would also like to confirm that a knot will slide into and through the tubes. Is there a particular type of knot that would work best?

I would gratefully appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you,

Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Apparently, I won't need to swap out the rudder lines after all.

I was fortunate to find a Hobie dealer about 30 miles away who was willing to check it out for me. After a couple of minutes, he determined that the Spectra lines were twisted where the rudder control lines led from the steering control toward the rudder. He rotated the cover of the steering control once, screwed the cover back on and the problem was solved.

I am looking forward to using the i14T without hand cramps.

Before leaving, I asked the shop owner what procedure he usually follows when it is necessary to change the lines. He indicated that he feeds a thin wire through the rudder line tube, forms a small loop at the end and threads the end of the Spectra line through the loop. He then proceeds to pull the wire through the tube.

It sounded very simple and efficient. Maybe I'll try it when it becomes necessary (hopefully several years from now).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you Kevin for posting the answer to your own question. This hasn't arisen for me, but if it does, I now know what to do! This is the real value of the community forums!

Feathercraft Big Kahuna