Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Everyone, I just joined this excellent resource and wanted to say hello. The information sharing on here is great. I recently purchased a 1988 Hobie 16 in pretty good shape. There are a few cracks in the gel coat and one pretty good gouge on the side of the hull that was repaired the wrong way(black epoxy smeared over it). After doing some research on here, I'm pretty sure I know how to fix that. However there are some cracks around the anchor bolts on top of the hulls. Structurally it still strong and nothing is soft or loose. Would you suggest just using gel coat paste to fix? Is there something else I should be doing. Not sure how to upload a picture since I'm new to the forum.

Thanks for your wisdom.

Josh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can't upload photos here. You must host them elsewhere and link to them here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Sunvista! I will look into that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:36 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

MichiganJosh wrote:
However there are some cracks around the anchor bolts on top of the hulls. Structurally it still strong and nothing is soft or loose. Would you suggest just using gel coat paste to fix?

Gel coat is not structural - it's just a pigmented polyester resin without glass reinforcement.

Cracks will allow water to penetrate the laminate, though. At the very least, fill the cracks with a bit of silicone seal smeared on with your finger.

To fix it "right" - you need to clean off all the broken bits and build it back up with thickened gel coat - gel coat putty.

Cracks around the shroud anchor pins are very common.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt, I'm about to repair similar cracks too. I bought some GitRot to deal with a small delam area. Would drilling a hole or two around those cracks and inserting GitRot there do the trick.

I would not buy GitRot just for that repair, but since I have it, would it work?

If the laminate got wet from the crack, there is a potential for delamination, so my theory would be that I'd kill two birds with one stone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

You could do it - but it's not going to look pretty.

You'll need to tape off the cracks after filling to keep the epoxy in place. Git-Rot isn't viscous enough to stay in place. You could mix some microballoons or fumed silica into it to thicken it up.

The same thing that makes Git-Rot useful for the lamination repair (lower viscosity) makes it a less than ideal solution here.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the information MBounds. I will let you know how it turns out with some pics. I appreciate your help.

Josh