Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A buddy and I are both refurbishing trailers to transport our Waves. What is the general opinion about trailering the Wave mast?

Mast in one piece or two?

If one: BOB on or off?
If one and on: BOB front or back?
If one what do you do with the halyard? (This is a trick question I think, because it seems to me that you need the halyard taut to keep the mast together. Should that have a question mark?)

If two: on tramp/crossmembers or underneath on trailer?
If two and any of above: BOB front or back?
If two and any of above: halyard on or off?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a home-brew (modified utilty) trailer which doesn't have a mast crutch, so I take mine apart, but leave the bob on, and lash the pieces to the trailer between the hulls. I pull the halyard out and hank it up, so it doesn't get tangled. I leave the shrouds & forestay attached to the mast, and coil them up, then bungee the coil to the mast.

The trick I figured out which makes the mast really easy to assemble/disassemble is to attach the ball end first, then you've got something stationary to push/pull against.

I also spray some Sail-Kote on the comp-tip side of the joint, and I have drilled a tiny weep hole in the luff track just above the top plug in aluminum section to let rain water out and let air in when you separate them.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've trailed Hobie 16 and currently a Wave the same way. I store my mast assembled (w/Bob) in the garage and trail it assembled using a mast crutch on the front of the trailer and the Hobie mast holder on the rear cross member. I position the mast so the Bob is relatively close to the rear cross member and therefore better supported.
I keep the halyard taunt and use a clove hitch at the bitter end, around the mast, to take up the slack.

The shrouds remain attached at both ends and coiled, together with the forestay, attached to the tramp. Makes stepping the mast, etc. very easy.

Positioning Bob at the stern places in the correct position for stepping the mast.

Longest trailed distance, one way - about 350 miles.

bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

<<I've trailed Hobie 16 and currently a Wave the same way.>>

Me too. The less stuff I take apart the better. Quicker take down/set up not only makes things easier, but less chance of me forgetting something :lol:

The Tiger was tons of work, holy cow. Tons of fun on the water, but lots of work.

The 16 is tons easier than Tiger...

The Wave, my friends is pure HEAVEN!!! Enjoy that wonderful keep it simple concept!