Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pointing up
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Been reading about the upwind problem. That concerns me a bit; been looking for a getaway, fell in love with the SUV of sailboats. The 21SC is to big for me alone to float, as I'll be taking kids ( under 9) out after school. The getaway seem to fit the bill, except for the pointing.. how bad is it, and can boat CG and Sail tuning help?

2) looking at the mail. I see a few hole to place the main sheet in... which is for which condition? (yes somewhat new to sailing..)

Post subject: Re: pointing up
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have always been able to make progress upwind to get where I wanted to go on my Getaway. Yes you can notice the sideslip at times, but in my opinion, for a boat that so versatile for carrying a number of passengers and is so quick to rig, the sideslip is not a serious problem. I have found the sideslipping to be worst while pinching in stronger winds with notable wave action or current going against me. My advice would be to be point a little lower in these cases and keep the boat speed up as this seems to improve the tracking.

As for the holes in the clew plate: the forward/lower hole is to flatten and depower the sail in higher winds, the aft/higher hole is to allow more curve in the sail for more power in lighter winds.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I didn't find pointing the Getaway to a problem until when I started racing against the H16.
For recreational sailing, just don't worry about the pointing, it is a non issue IMHO, and enjoy the boat for what it is.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

H16 is not considered to be good at pinting into the wind (no centerboards)...when I owned a H16, they/we all complained how the 17 and 18 were so much better. The latest Hobie's are WAY faster than the H16. But the Getaway is faster than basically all monohulls, so it's all relative.

Took Hobie pics on Oneida Lake from my R/C electric powered airplane 2 years ago. Not sure if this link will work (if not, go to www.cny_ap.printroom.com and navigate to the madcatter album):
http://www.cny_ap.printroom.com/ViewGal ... id=1556095

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting post. So when I race my friend with his Getaway, instead of following the same course as him (he's more experienced, so I figure that whatever course he takes is the right one), I should try to point higher.

Not a real race, but put two sailboats on a lake and you suddenly got a race.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

cny_ap wrote:
H16 is not considered to be good at pinting into the wind (no centerboards)...when I owned a H16, they/we all complained how the 17 and 18 were so much better. The latest Hobie's are WAY faster than the H16. But the Getaway is faster than basically all monohulls, so it's all relative.

Took Hobie pics on Oneida Lake from my R/C electric powered airplane 2 years ago. Not sure if this link will work (if not, go to http://www.cny_ap.printroom.com and navigate to the madcatter album):
http://www.cny_ap.printroom.com/ViewGal ... id=1556095

Really nice pictures you caught there. Looks like a nice lake with great beach area.

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. They were taken at the "Madcatter" race on Oneida Lake, which is in mid May (see fleet 204's site for info). Some well known sailors race in it and it has a good turnout. I don't own a Hobie and haven't for years, just lurking, thinking of getting back into it. Not into racing, have kids now (which is partly why I sold 13 years ago). Getaway seems ideal.