Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Tiger furling jib
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey all, just purchased a 2003 hobie tiger. It's currently set up with non furling jib but included the furlier. I was thinking about trying the furling option but was wondering if it's better if I'm just recreation sailing and also where do I purchase a furling jib. Any advice would be most appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

skennedy...

Roller furling systems and jibs are no longer desireable or available since the F18 designs have migrated to fully battened jibs. You would need to get one aftermarket from a sailmaker or a used one from a previous generation boat. My suggestion is to save your money and leave the jib off the boat when you sail. Of course many have the mantra of go full power or don't go at all. Your choice.

John Bauldry
Hobie Wildcat #194
Commerce, MI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We still offer the furling jibs - We even have 1 or 2 used ones in our Dud storage - so call a dealer to get one (1800Hobie49) - Furling is a nice option for rec sailing. For racing, most people use the fully batten jibs now - but there isn't much performance advantage either way - my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks John,
Thats probably what I'll do unless I can find one used at a decent price. I still have small kids so the furler allows me a little more flexibility when I take them out. When its me and my buddy's its an entirely different story!
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Jbernier,
Got a great deal on a new fulring jib from Hobie USA! Thanks for all the help and great service!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

skennedy wrote:
Thanks Jbernier,
Got a great deal on a new fulring jib from Hobie USA! Thanks for all the help and great service!

Glad we could help! - If you know anyone else looking we have a few others still in stock (the old furling style) for 30% off (normally $499 retail) that's a killer price!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm also looking for one of the furling jibs here in Canada if my dealer can pass along the 30% discount. They quoted me $499, but perhaps that was based on old pricing data. I will have to follow up with them. I think it would be nice to have as I mostly use the boat for recreation purposes.

Are the furling jibs available all white or are there any other colours?

Thanks,
Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a yellow furling jib Id sell you for short money, it's mainly a practice sail or fun day sail. Let me know!

I love these calm moments before the storm, it reminds me of Beethoven...

'02 Hobie Tiger USA 1152

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have brand new furling white jibs - those 'are' $499 - the discounted ones were demo sails - used in a photo shoot or for promotion - they would be discounted - I believe we have one left - just have your dealer ask the P&A department for the 'dud' part number (I'll help your dealer directly - my name is Jacques Bernier at Hobie Cat Co. USA)

Thanks

JB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info JB.

I have contacted my Hobie dealer regarding this sail and hopefully they will order it for me soon. I picked up my Tiger last fall as an upgrade from my Getaway and absolutely love it, but I think the furling Jib with a snorkel will allow me to justify getting on the water more often when I only have a short window of opportunity.

Cheers,
Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nautical Ventures, located Ft.Lauderdale, Florida has a brand new roller furling jib for a Hobie Tiger for sale. It's a monofilm scrim bi-radial cut with carbon (Pentax). Beautiful and high tech. Was $ 586 new, if you could find one. Take this one home for $ 439.

Contact Jon at Nautical Ventures 954-926-5250 or email me at [email protected]

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

the advantage of a furling jib is an obvious convienience but you will (am i wrong?) lose the ability to have a control line for jib luff tension which is very handy in varying wind conditions ! :?:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No - you can still adjust the luff on a furling jib -either by leaving the stock setup which means you'd have to walk out towards the bridles to reach it (if adjusting it on the water)...kind of a pain, but that's how we did it for years without issue - or you can rig a luff control line down through the middle of the furl drum and out to the bridles - they were rigged with a control system late in the development of the Tiger when it was still used a furling jib - You just need to run a line with a pulley at the end from the port bridle attachment point to just below the furler, it will kind of 'float' so you need to fine tune that line length to get it just right.... and then run the adjuster line through that pulley (passing it through the middle of the furler drum first) and across to a shackle or pulley attached to the starboard side and then run it back to the front beam as with the current systems. This is similar to the current system, but only that it runs out the bottom of the furler first - a little bit more rigging intensive but pretty simple still.