Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just removed the tarp that covered my Getaway over the winter. Upon inspection, I noticed there are dark smudges on the hull that wouldn't come off by rubbing it with my finger. What is a quick and efficient way to clean the hulls? To keep them easy to clean would it be ok to apply a coat of automobile wax?

Thanks!
Bob S.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What are the smudges? Like black streaks? If so, you can get black streak remover in most stores that sell RV supplies, Walmart and others large surface store. I use it to clean my travel trailer, works great.

Other cleaners like Oxyclean or the like might work too. Test in small hidden area like under the tramp first to make sure it does not make it worse.

As far as wax, not sure how well it works on plastic, I guess the same as any other smooth surface. Because of the size, I'd go with something easy to apply like ICE by Turtle Wax. Might not be the best wax in the world, but it's certainly easy to apply.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NOT REALLY SURE HOW THE SMUDGES OCCURRED... POSSIBLY FROM THE TARP THAT WAS AGAINST THE HULL OVER THE WINTER (TARP WAS BLACK ON THE INSIDE, SILVER ON THE OUTSIDE).

I CHECKED SOME WEBSITES THIS MORNING AND FOUND A PRODUCT THAT MAY REMOVE THE SMUDGES QUICKLY AND EASILY: "STAR BRITE INSTANT BOAT HULL CLEANER". HIGHLY RATED & WORKS VERY WELL ACCORDING TO AMAZON.COM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My 02 Getaway was showing its years with accumulated grime. Over the years
I have made half hearted cleaning attempts with assorted marine, green and car cleaning products with very limited results. This year I tried Marine Spray Nine (www.spraynine.com) with impressive results. I was asked by a boat owner that stores his boat near mine if I had a new boat. When I said no. He said but you had that old boat for years. I assume that indicated that my cleaning standards had been questionable for years and that the Spray Nine had done a pretty remarkable job. Interestingly while it cleaned the hulls almost completely with one spray on and wipe off application, it did nothing even after repeated applications on the rudders. The rudders now look so bad by comparison that I will have to make an effort to find an effective cleaner for the rudders.

I posted this last year. After a season of use and winter storage it still looks good. The rudders still need work.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Purchased and used Marine Spray Nine today. Sorry to say that it did not come close to removing the smudges. The marks seem to be imbedded deep in the hulls. Next I'll try the Star Brite Instant Boat Hull Cleaner. I have a bad feeling that this may not work since the Spray Nine was such a bust. My wife recommended soft scrub.

This is so frustrating since this is a NEW Getaway, purchased last May. Used only 3 times!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I stopped cleaning mine. I have similar smudges, I used FSR for couple of seasons but it did ok job. Let me know if you find anything that works.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I some luck using a hard bristle hand brush and comet, I'm sure any of the powered cleaners would work. Its just plastic, it shouldn't be that hard to find something to clean it with!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A FRIEND OF MINE RECOMMENDED MR CLEAN MAGIC ERASER. WENT TO OUR LOCAL SUPERMARKET AND BOUGHT IT. WITH LOTS OF ELBOW GREASE, IT WORKED, SLOWLY BUT SURELY.

AFTER MARKS ARE REMOVED WILL APPLY SOME WAX TO THE HULLS HOPING THAT I WON'T HAVE TO GO THRU THIS NEXT SPRING.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What's the best and safest way to clean my Roady's screen? I'm afraid to use any sort of liquid on it (even water) unless I can be assured that it won't damage or obscure it permanently. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Project completed. Nasty black smudges removed from hulls.

My theory - I really think the culprit was the TARP that covered the Getaway over the winter. It was one of those silver (on the outside) and black (on the inside) heavy duty tarps that you can get at a Home Depot or Tractor Supply. The black portion of the tarp deteriorated over the months. Fine black particles of black dye interacted with moisture in the air leaving a residue on the hulls. The black smudges appeared on the outside of each hull where the tarp was in close proximity.

Here was the process that worked for me:
- Clean boat with warm water and detergent
- Scrubbed hulls with "Soft Scrub Total" foam
- Heavy duty Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser"
- Spray on/wipe off spray wax
(by the way, Star Brite Instant Boat Hull Cleaner did NOT work)

What can I do to protect the Getaway for next winter. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some people shrink wrap them. Other than the plastic, the only tool required is a flame thrower like roofers use.

My friends do it to their speed boat, I might try it this winter instead of taking the boat apart and strapping it to the garage ceiling.