Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm getting ready to buy a PA and I have about $3k+ set aside. What are some must haves and/or wish list items that I need on my purchase list? If there is anything I can or can't skimp on so my money will go farther, please let me know.

I'll be day and night fishing (trolling, jigging, and live bait) primarily saltwater in the Chesapeake Bay. I already have a PFD, waders, and fishing gear.

I've been through many of the posts already so I have a feel for some basic gear. Basically, if everyone could post their gear with brand and model number in a numbered list, that would be very helpful for us newbies. Or, if you could do it all over again, what would you buy.

There are a few things I know I need like:
1. Racks or trailer (I have a '99 Toyota Land Cruiser with an existing Thule system and a trailer hitch) - anyone with racks wished they bought a trailer or vice versa?
2. Rod Holders (trolling, jigging, and live bait)
3. Fish Finder/GPS, mounting kit, rechargeable battery
4. Hobie trolley

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I like the trailer. Would find it a bit of a job getting it up on top of the Envoy. Saw a great video about fish finder mount. Used a ram mount so you could adjust the position of the fish finder. Then when standing, you can arrange the fishfinder screen to point up so you can see it by glancing down, and when you are sitting, it is adjusted to be easy to see then.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello and welcome! For night fishing obviously a light is required, I use Yak Attacks Visicarbon pro. My other recommendation would be the heavy duty cart if you will have any distance to cover over land between shore and where you will load/unload. I also recommend trailering over a roof rack. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You already have FF/GPS on the list, which is good. You may be tempted to forgo the GPS in favor of the more expensive color screen or some other FF feature. DON'T! GPS is way more helpful than you will appreciate until you get out on the water. It is invaluable if/when the fog rolls in, or you end up coming home in the dark unexpectedly. It is also good for planning trolling runs or marking a good spot that you want to return to later. Once you commit to a built-in GPS, if you want to spend a bit more, go for a higher vertical resolution (assuming you are fishing in some deep water) as this will help identify fish very close to the bottom. Just my $0.02.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I really like my Yakima roof rack system on my Toyota Highlander -- no trailer to store.

Invest in a leash for your Mirage drive -- you'd hate to have a mishap and the drive end up on the bottom of the bay.

I have a Scotty flushmount rod holder on each board -- they work great.

Get a good dry box for your keys, wallet and phone.

Fishing on the Bay, you might consider a drift chute.

The Visicarbon light looks very cool. I bought a flag and a suction cup light from my dealer, which are fine, but the suction cup on the light won't actually stick anywhere on the PA. I had to cut a disc of clear plastic from the light packaging and glue it to the top of the front hatch to have a suitable mounting location for the light. The Visicarbon appears to give you the light and flag all in one unit.

The Hobie inflatable lumbar support isn't pictured in the catalog, but it is listed in teh detailed parts listing. Check with your dealer as they may have them in stock. I have trouble with my lower back, and this inflatable support is a life saver. It really helps make the seat more comfortable for a long day on the warer. It attaches to the seat with a strap and has an inflation nozzle that makes for quick and easy pressure adjustments.

It's not cheap, but if you want to memorialize your trips with good pictures, think about a waterproof camera and mount. I liked the looks of this camera with a remote control that I tried at Bass Pro Shops http://www.kodakoutdoors.com/playsport-video-camera-bundle and this kayak camera mount http://www.xshotpix.com/kayakmount.php, but the price tag is a killer.

In the end, except for the things to protect your life and equipment, most of the other items are just nice to have stuff. The best suggestion I have is to get on the water, often! You're going to love it.

TDK

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Look on Amazon.com for the Playsport, the frequently have a bundle deal for $109 that includes a tripod, remote, 4gb mem card, and a carry case I think. I got mine at Best Buy for 99$ and an additional 9.99 for the remote, already had spare memory cards from my wife's camera. Built my own kayak mount.

If fishing shallows, may want to consider a stakeout pole as well, less hassle than dealing with an anchor everytime.

I also highly recommend the visicarbon pro from yak attack, http://yakattack.us/Products/Products.html or even the visipole2. Ordering mine this week from ACK, have read nothing but good reviews on these lights.

One last thing I would recommend, keep a good first aid kit in a drybag or lockbox that is easily accessible, never know when you might need it.

Another tip, the rear hatch and box there are about useless especially if you have a cooler in the rear well. Take a box cutter, trim out the separators in the dry box, and this makes an ideal place to store wallet, keys, cell phones, etc while on the water.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

These are all great suggestions. Keep 'em coming!!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

redwolf wrote:
Look on Amazon.com for the Playsport . . . I got mine at Best Buy for 99$ and an additional 9.99 for the remote . . .

Another tip, the rear hatch and box there are about useless especially if you have a cooler in the rear well. Take a box cutter, trim out the separators in the dry box, and this makes an ideal place to store wallet, keys, cell phones, etc while on the water.

Good tips, I didn't realize that you could buy the remote separately for the Playsport. I'm mostly interested in the remote and spare battery, but I don't really need the tripod, case or memory card. Has the Playsport worked well for you?

I, too, don't find much use for the rear hatch and gear bucket. The only issue I have with your suggestion is that I do occasionally need to take/make a call on my mobile phone while on the water and I've also had to produce my fishing license for The Man from Game & Fisheries. I keep them in a small dry box that I attach to a bungee line with a caribiner and then tuck behind my seat. I use the round gear bucket to keep a few tools, parts, and my small first aid kit. I keep a spare Mirage fin, mast and retainer clips in the boat, along with a multi-head screwdriver and some pliers. I don't know about others, but I find that the small round Mirage fin retainer clips can become a bit mangled during use, so keeping a few replacements on hand seems like cheap insurance.

I actually just found this season that the top on the round gear bucket developed a crack somehow. I don't use it often, so I figure it must have been pinched by the hatch cover.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Get a good plastic waterproof pouch big enough for your name and address and phone number.

Hide it inside the yak where you can tell the police where to look for the idenity. Also write down the yak's hull number in your records to let the police know the numbers also... But most of the time the thiefs know the deface the numbers where they are not readable.

On the positive side, just so someone that finds you yak, if it gets away from you will know who to contact... So make sure your name and phone number is easy to find in one location and hide the other info in the harder to find place... Then if a thief finds your info in the easy location they will stop looking in other places... ???? Maybe???

Good Luck...

Get a paddle leash if no one has mentioned it before above.