Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H18 chicken line ideas?
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone have a idea on how to rig up a chicken line for a H18? I would like something very basic and easy to rig.

10 Mile Surfside, Texas
Join us on our Facebook group: Surfside Sailing

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you mean a righting line, I like hollow webbing with shock cord inside it.. I only use this for righting the boat.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

no I mean for the crew to hold on to when they are out on the wire in the gulf to help keep them balance when we get slapped by a wave.

10 Mile Surfside, Texas

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Floyd - It's called the "Easy Rite".
Check out page 18 of the Hobie Parts and Accssories Catalog Part# 30105 $57.75.
I use it all the time for inexperienced crew - gandkids and adults. Easy to install; easy to use.
I hope this helps.
Richard

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oops - the part number I gave you is for th H 16. I just re-read your post - H18.
The part number for the H18 is #30106 $63.75.
It's advertised as a righting line/crew safety line. I used it once,years ago, as a righting line. I didn't like it. But, it is a great crew safety line, or "Chicken line" as you call it.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fa1321tx wrote:
no I mean for the crew to hold on to when they are out on the wire in the gulf to help keep them balance when we get slapped by a wave.

I do not recommend doing that.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ive seen people tie a line from a hole drilled in the lip about a foot aft of the reat crossbar. Im not sure how they hold onto the line, I dont think they would hold it in their hand due to hand being busy but maybe they hook it to the harness hook. I mostly think it is to prevent injury during a pitch pole, so that you don't hit a shroud or anything real hard. When you un-clip the harness it comes of with it. It has a few loops to make adjustments in length. Im not sure how they stash it on tacks.

Its probably not the best thing because its one more thing to tangle. But on a 16 or especially a 14 in high wind in good chop it might be a good idea.

Off topic riddle
What do you go into one hole and come out three holes?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

if your intent is to maintain balance, then I'd suggest a foot strap, mounted aft of the rear crossbar. I've put these on both of my Cats. I've been able to prevent pitch poles, maintain footing and stay in place when knocked by a wave. Your rear foot goes into in, leaving your hands free for more important things.

Mine are adjustable padded straps by DaKine, which is a sailboard-surboard accesories manf.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think a foot strap is good for the helmsmen. Finding crew that agree to go out on the wire in the gulf can be hard they look at me like Im asking them to jump off a cliff or something?

10 Mile Surfside, Texas

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The hollow stretch line that has been referred to is the thing you need. Since it ties off at the rear your crew can pull against to prevent flying around the bows and they can run it behind them and hold it in both hands, practically compressing them to the boat.
Inexperienced crew should not be tethered to the boat with a chicken line, thats for pros and adrenaline junkies in heavy air.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here are some pics of a sissy cord that I recently built to try out this year. It's made using two 10 foot long pieces of hollow braid with 3/16" bungee snaked inside and rope loops tied to each end. The knots for the rope loops and the cinch rings for the bungee cord are stuffed back inside the hollow braid to keep things clean. The rope loops on the end of the sissy cord are fastened to the short lenghts of line that remain fixed to the hull by using a larks head knot. The system can be easily removed from the boat for racing or when not being used so the bungee doesn't get stretched out.

sm

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice, thanks for sharing your idea and pics. So the bungie would go behind the trapped sailor(s)? Also, may I ask what size line you're using for your jib sheet? It looks like a larger line than mine but I suspect it's just the photo. Finally, what is the purpose of that extra large "dinner plate" washer on your rudder casting? (Sorry for the off-topic questions. I'm always looking for ways to improve my H18.)

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To answer your questions:

1) The chicken line can be held in front or behind the crew, really doesn't matter, whichever is more comfortable.

2) The jib sheet on this boat is a little thicker than necessary. I'm not sure what the diameter is, 7/16" or 3/8". It's one size larger than recommended, but this is a beach boat, so I"m not too concerned about it. Plus a thicker line is better for people without gloves.

3) The washers on the lower rudder casting are for a bungee hold down system. On my boats, I prefer to run the cam tension on the loose side and use a bungee to do most of the work holding the rudder down. This is espically the case on this boat which has the old-style rudder system. The bungee isn't hooked up in the picture (so it doesn't get stretched out while not being used).

sm

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thank you. I too have the old-style rudder system so that's something I need to look into.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks that looks like an easy set up! Can you tell me more about the hollow braid does it stretch with the bungee if so where do you buy it by the foot?

Thanks!

10 Mile Surfside, Texas