Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know I've seen some guys use pvc. I have a good friend that lets me fool around in his shop. He is a welder and a really good one at that. I fabbed up the cradle and he welded it for me. Let me know what you think. I intend to put pads on the ends and drill a hole at the bottom so it doesn't pull up. I want to powder coat it, but for now I think the raw aluminum looks pretty cool.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice job! :D I would like to get my buddy Greg one.It is fun to build your our stuff isn't it.
Bill 404 212SE

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah I love it! If I ever get rid of this 18 I'm def going to be taking most of this stuff off, you know for my next 18.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You & your friend, the really good welder, ought to start building
knock off Magnum wings...those welds look great!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll ask him. The only thing is that I can't find the part that the wing attaches to the crossbars. I would think I can find something similar. Let me know if anyone knows of where I can get something like that and I'll talk to him. What do you think someone would pay for a new set of wings?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, looks great!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

No go on the wings. After my friend laughed at me, he said there was not enough money in them. If they were for me, on the other hand. . . he said it would be worth it. . .

So had to paint the cradle, then put the rubber on the ends. Finished product looks like this:

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry to hyjack;
Before I found my wings on the internet, I looked into making some. As a toolmaker who has a welder and can weld aluminum I have access to all the equipment to build everything. With that said, by the time you cost out the materials, and add some money for the labor, not to many people would be willing to pay the price you would need.

I love my wings and that is why I still sail the Hobie 18. A Wildcat to race with wings for bumming around............there's an idea. 8)

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

very nice rig. would you consider making another rig?i live in new smyrna beach fl. if interested call me with parts and labor thanks payne

Last edited by pirate payne on Tue May 24, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll see what I can come up with.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A little off topic but does anyone have any great ideas for storing the wings up with the mast up. I store my boat with the mast up at the marina but they want a lot more $ for an extra wide storage slip. I therefore have to fold the sings up against the shrouds every time.

Now I tie a rope around the shroud and then throw it around the sing and then over to the other side, around that wing and the shroud and back over to where I started and tie it off to the shrouds. I put some old towel material between the wing and the shrouds to prevent chafing on the tramp material.

This works reasonably well when I have crew but it was a pain to do myself.

Thanks for any advice/ideas. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I usually store mine on the beach w/the wings up beacuse I don't want folks sitting on the wings while it's on land....

So I use the jib sheet to hold the front of the wings together in the up position.

- Where the jib sheet would clip in the clew of the sail, instead clip it at a diamond wire on the mast.
- Fold up one wing, take the jib sheet and run it from the mast out around the front of the folded up wing... and cleat the sheet w/the jib cleat.
- Repeat w/other side.
- Adjust it to find where it holds most secure by moving the jib traveller.
WARNING #1 - if it comes uncleated, your wings will slam down...
WARNING #2 - I don't like leaving things cleated, gives me the idea it weakens the springs in the cam cleats.
- So what I do is take the excess jib sheet, the loose part that's lying on the tramp, and run it back through my main sheet traveller, and tie off a stopper knot in the loop of jib sheet. (you're removing your mainsheet for storage, right?)

Lastly, tie a security line, or bungee, at the back of the wings to keep them stable.

Cheers,
Rob

[quote="Chet3"]A little off topic but does anyone have any great ideas for storing the wings up with the mast up. I store my boat with the mast up at the marina but they want a lot more $ for an extra wide storage slip. I therefore have to fold the sings up against the shrouds every time.

Now I tie a rope around the shroud and then throw it around the sing and then over to the other side, around that wing and the shroud and back over to where I started and tie it off to the shrouds. I put some old towel material between the wing and the shrouds to prevent chafing on the tramp material.

This works reasonably well when I have crew but it was a pain to do myself.

Thanks for any advice/ideas. :D[/quote]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That sounds like a great idea using the jib sheets to hold up the wings, I will give it a try the next time I am at the lake. I currently have them hooked to the front of the trailer and cleated to keep them tidy, I never considered that leaving them cleated may be an issue.

At the marina I am at I am not concerned with people messing with the boat.