Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Making daggerboards for a 21 se, can some one please give me the board dimensions off a wild cat.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

That board is no where near sufficient for the weight and size of the 21SE. One reason the 21SE used short and wide centerboards. It's a beast.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

From what i hear it also didn't go to weather worth a dern. Some cruising cats have long daggerboards. If i get the size from the wild cat board i can use a ratio to figure size for a 21. Don't think i'll find a production board that's acceptable. Putting a lot of work into making a really nice, fast boat, a little nicer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think it went to weather worth a dern. Maybe a little more slide than you'd like in really light air, but once the thing was moving at any reasonable speed it just went. We got to the top mark with the TIgers and the Tornados so I don't see the issue. Lots of rake, sturdy rudder pins (stainless), plus you have the advantage of only doing slight damage when you touch one of those pesky rocks. Tigers and Wild Cats reach down so far they find a lot of pesky rocks.

http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/%3FPage ... 29,r:0,s:0

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's really cool, glad to know she's that competitive "stock." The issue is; boat speed/performance is attention to detail, as you know. Any little thing i can do to make her better!
What kind of spinnaker rig you have?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't have the boat anymore. I've "graduated" to a Wave due to encroaching old age. I had a square top main (Whirlwind) and various jibs but I preferred the Ullman ones. My boat was raced in ProSail (103) with a bridle for the spinnaker and I upgraded to a spinnaker pole with automagic tack and halyard. I tried to make an end pole snuffer for the stock chutes (Danger, Smyth) but it didn't work at all well. So we stuck with the spinnaker bag sewn to the middle of the trampoline. Hard on the crew. A Tornado spinnaker is about the right luff length and very high aspect ratio and of course they work with a snuffer. That's what I'd try if I were to go down that path today. In the beginning some of the Tiger crews tried to use the bag on the tramp system and they just got killed by the boats using the snuffer. Much faster to take down and get up, plus you can take it down on one jibe and put it up another, which you can't do with the bag system. For long distance races or just sailing it doesn't make much difference but around the buoys it does.

If you do a Google search on "Images" you used to get a picture of my boat, and me he said blushing, with the pink Danger kite up.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You're right, I definitely want a high aspect ratio snuffer rig! Hard to find knowledgeable crew sometimes so ease of use is a big plus.
Do you know if this is something I have to part together myself, or is there a package available?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Definitely a DIY project. Everybody else lost interest in racing 21s before the turn of the century. The stock pole is 125" long which by modern standards is too short. Another foot would be nice. The dimensions of a Hobie 21 kite are in the rules and any sailmaker will make you one but it's low aspect ration and huge. If it were me I'd figure out whether a Tornado pole maybe with an extension, and a Tornado kite would fit. That way the pole, chute, snuffer, downhaul, all that stuff is already there and you don't have to worry about it. Plus you get a modern high aspect ration kite and they should be available second hand which keeps prices down.

Good luck!