Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It occurs to me I may have gone about this in the wrong way. Are there any 21se sailors out there who feel boat performance could be improved with higher aspect ratio dagger boards? What shape main seems to perform best? How does the boat point compared to modern racers? What's your personal best speed on a 21se?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think this would be about there 23 mph...but look at the 41 miles covered in 3 hr 50 mins, not to mention I believe we stopped 2 times to just drift in the water to have something to eat and drink.

http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/ma ... 68255/full

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mma600psi wrote:
I think this would be about there 23 mph...but look at the 41 miles covered in 3 hr 50 mins, not to mention I believe we stopped 2 times to just drift in the water to have something to eat and drink.

http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/ma ... 68255/full

That looks like a great day of sailing to me. :D

I need to get my GPS fired up and see what my H18 can do when the wind is cranking.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17419&start=15

Another time we peaked at 26 mph, but I do not have the recorded track for proof.....Fun Boat!

To answer your question, I do think dagger boards would create more lift, but not sure if they would benefit on the broad reach max speed without lifting them. The centerboards do create a well balanced boat and you would most likely need to adjust the daggerboard location, fore and aft, to be able to take advantage of the increased lift....

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:32 am 
30 mph verified by GPS. Side by side Zorn's 21SE at Lake McConaughy. We caught an offshore and were about 50 ft offshore so we had flat water. Totally amazing. People on shore were standing there with their jaws dropped as we flew by. We were totally planing. It felt like the boats were skimming the water.

To top it off we were at a BBQ that night and this pretty woman (a dead ringer for Katherine Ross) was telling people about these 2 fast sailboats and how she couldn't believe how fast they went. Off course a friend was nice enough to point out the lucky sailors to her.

We hit 23-26 mph pretty often, usually the crossbar going through waves is what slows us down.