Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had our used 2001 getaway out for only the second time yesterday on Lake Jackson - South of Atlanta. It was a beauty day for sailing - sunny with winds at about 15mph and a little cool. We found out how cool when we capsized the thing, but thats another post!!

Anyhow, I believe our mainsheet block is set up correctly according to the photos in the assembly/users manual. To uncleat the mainsheet it takes a downward motion and I am finding it very difficult to uncleat when I am sitting anywhere other than right next to it.

The Jib sheets are uncleated by pulling up and seem much easier to operate.

The problem is almost always something that I am doing wrong! Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It might just be a simple issue - the cleat can be adjusted to aim higher - I think from your description its just too low - figure out how to raise it up (should be an adjuster screw of some type - not sure what blocks you have since there aren't any pictures) but all of the versions, including current models, are adjustable.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had to raise mine on my H16, I had to reach out with my feet and push down on the sheet to release it. I changed the angle of the cleat a bit higher and problem solved.

My friend's Getaway has the opposite problem, it's angled too high and it's hard to cleat the sheet without reaching over it.

Different sailors like it at different angles. Best is to try a few different angles until it's set the way you like it.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to you both - I do see where it is possible to adjust and that is probably all it needs. Looking forward to the next opportunity to test it out.

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I remembered seeing something about the adjustment, I wanted to show my friend for his Getaway. Here's the link: http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/getawaymanual_a1.pdf

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This was a source of tremendous frustration to me as a new Getaway owner in 2002. First really soak the main sheet. The extra weight will make it easier to uncleat. A new main sheet will also help. A new line cleats and uncleats much more readily. Then upgrade to a Harken block (pretty expensive - around $300 as I remember, but worth it). You will be impressed at how well the Harken block and a new sheet work. The extreme block adjustments will make it either easier to uncleat and harder to cleat or the reverse at the other extreme. The default setting is in the middle. To avoid going over I think it is mandatory not to cleat at all in high wind. Buy a pair of good sailing gloves so you can hold on. Then adjust the block so that you are in no danger of accidently cleating the main.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There is also a little trick to popping the line out of the cleat. It is hard to describe but you shake the line like cracking a whip and it will pop right out. This will not overcome a cleat that is adjusted at the wrong angle but it really does work. I wish I could describe it better but it really is easy to do once you get the hang of it.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You can also use your foot