Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SC - Lake Hartwell
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you sail on Lake Hartwell & want to meet up w/ another Hobie, let me know. Annacat is my daughter's nicname & what we call the boat. I'm her dad.. & normally take my sons (8 & 10) out sailing. We're also going to try sailing out from Charleston later this year.

Post subject: Re: SC - Lake Hartwell
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There was a HUGE regatta on Hartwell a few weeks ago, Spring Fever, that had a large Hobie 16 class. Would have been a good learning experience, I know I learned a lot, I've been sailing less than a year

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've only sailed Hartwell but have heard that Lake Keowee has better wind (more consistant wind). Anyone have any experience with it? Besides the sailing clubs at Hartwell and Keowee, are there any landings that offer good set up? Something other than riprap lining the landings. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There is going to be a regatta on keowee June 4&5 (sat.&sun), should be several cats. Great group, very friendly.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Corps suggested the Green Pond ramp. It has a sandy beach beside the ramp - but the ramp has riprap. Looking at the landing from Google Earth, it appears the sandy beach "might" be something worth checking out. There is a fairly decent setup out at Portman Marina. The launch ramp is divided by a floating dock.

There has to be an ideal place out there somehwere. When I spoke with the Corps, they sounded somewhat interested in this problem. I think they would likely approve an area for beach launch (using beach wheels) if a few people wanted it. The lady I spoke with said that the swim beaches are designated swim areas & the current rules prohibit "boats" in those areas.

If there are a few of us out there that would like a beach launch site.. lets get together & approach the Corps w/an idea. I think the only reason a beach is not already available for launch.. is that they have never been asked.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have an 18 but have only been out with it a few times. I have been using the broyles ramp which is right across the lake from the sailing club. I am gonna try to make it down there this weekend.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There is a regatta on Keowee right up the road from you June 4&5 you should bring your 18. I should be there and would love to see another 18!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We’re heading out of town for the weekend. I’m not going to be back on Hartwell until next week. Otherwise, I would get my Hobie out there too Bacho. Email me or post the next time you plan to launch. It sounds like we’re at about the same stage of learning.

Would anyone be interested in getting a few cats together for a run to the dam & back? Could start at the double bridges (Hwy 24 / Portman / Broyles area). It looks to be around 15 miles each direction.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I set up a facebook group to help connect Hobies on Lake Hartwell.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 0947545409

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Spent the afternoon on hartwell yesterday. Pretty dissappointing wind from what was forecasted. I would do a dam run on a nice day. Lets band together for a cat beach. There appears to be unused swimming like beach at the broyles ramp but its 100yds from the boat ramp.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hey guys, i have been dreaming of sailing for 3 years now and yesterday i bought a hobie 17 ... great condition, just no jib
- so today i take it to the lake to see if it floats and truly realize i dont fully understand how to launch this thing. im am very familiar with the theory of sailing and all the theoretical information on it.
sadly tho
1 i cant get the sail all the way to the top so it clicks and locks.
2 the trapeze wire seams to just bounce around everywhere
and other minor things.

dont get me wrong, im a very capabel person. its just theres no youtube vids on launching and i dont know a singel person who sails.
- i live in Spartanburg and would love to go sailing with some one in hartwell

so for now it hasn't hit the water yet..... sunday anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

maksimov360 wrote:
hey guys, i have been dreaming of sailing for 3 years now and yesterday i bought a hobie 17 ... great condition, just no jib
- so today i take it to the lake to see if it floats and truly realize i dont fully understand how to launch this thing. im am very familiar with the theory of sailing and all the theoretical information on it.
sadly tho
1 i cant get the sail all the way to the top so it clicks and locks.
2 the trapeze wire seams to just bounce around everywhere
and other minor things.

dont get me wrong, im a very capabel person. its just theres no youtube vids on launching and i dont know a singel person who sails.
- i live in Spartanburg and would love to go sailing with some one in hartwell

so for now it hasn't hit the water yet..... sunday anyone?

I sailed Hartwell yesterday and put a hole in my sail otherwise I would take you up on your offer for today. However I make a trip there at least once a month and we can meet up next time.

The sail can be very hard to pull up, make sure your mast track is clean and some wax on the bolt rope in the sail also helps. Not sure what your describing with your trapeze wires, worn out bungees?

If you like, shoot me a text at 303-three eight seven eight.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

annacat wrote:
The Corps suggested the Green Pond ramp. It has a sandy beach beside the ramp - but the ramp has riprap. Looking at the landing from Google Earth, it appears the sandy beach "might" be something worth checking out. There is a fairly decent setup out at Portman Marina. The launch ramp is divided by a floating dock.

There has to be an ideal place out there somehwere. When I spoke with the Corps, they sounded somewhat interested in this problem. I think they would likely approve an area for beach launch (using beach wheels) if a few people wanted it. The lady I spoke with said that the swim beaches are designated swim areas & the current rules prohibit "boats" in those areas.

If there are a few of us out there that would like a beach launch site.. lets get together & approach the Corps w/an idea. I think the only reason a beach is not already available for launch.. is that they have never been asked.

I have used the swim beach to launch my boat a couple times this winter, obviously there were no swimmers and I asked permission from the campground host at the Broyles ramp who had no problem with it.

I need to try out the Green Pond ramp, the rip-rap doesn't scare me as long as I could walk the boat through the water to push up the ramp.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i tested out the boat today .... finally figured a bunch of stuff out
sailed for about 3 hours.. on and off with gusts of wind
and all i got to say is " im in love " sailing is defiantly something i can get use to
- i had like 3-5 gallons of water drain from my hulls after i putt it on my trailer
is that normal?

and how do i put images on here? im proud of my boat and want to show it off :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

3-5 gallons sounds like too much to me. Search on using a vacuum to look for leaks.

The easiest way to post pictures is uploading the to photobucket and using the provided links on this site.

2010 AHPC C2 #218