Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello fellows
Quick simple question: has anyone tried to replace the nylon wiring with stainless steel for the rudder set-up?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why? What would be the advantage? :?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

reconlon wrote:
Why? What would be the advantage? :?

Well last Saturday my turning wire broke on the water. It was an easy fix on shore but still ruins the day.
I was at MEC and most of their kayak have stainless steel wiring to control the rudder.

Hence my curiosity with the hobie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

The Specta line we use these days has hundreds of pounds breaking strength, it's light, soft and smooth. No frayed wires to hook your skin. Line routing can also wrap around / past scuppers inside the hull. Wire would likely cut the plastic.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ezcreation:
I had the same thought after the first time I broke my rudder line on my TI about a year ago. I did replace the line with stainless steel. The stainless is actually much weaker than the spectra it turns out. I think the stainless cable I used was rated at around 120 lbs, It also rusted very quickly in the salt water, and cuts into the plastic very badly (like a saw). The joint where it goes into the rudder is a very high stress point, and the wire broke there (the stainless wire can't take continous flexing very well). After I installed the TI rudder update kit (where they replaced the rudder pin, and the tube that the steering line goes through, and added the bungy to the rudder last summer/fall), all my problems went away (as far as breakage). It turns out the spectra line they use does have a break strength of several hundred pounds and is the best material as long as there are no sharp edges for it to fray on. If your problem persist, you can change the line out at the back near the rudder (where it always breaks) with the next size larger spectra, it's easy to splice in. Or just wait for the new rudder replacement with the new rudder design, and all your problems will disappear (they actually used a larger spectra if you look at the video see "rudder the replacement program announcement"). I'm sure we (TI Owners) will all have the new rudder systems in the next month or two.