Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: potential AI purchase
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

im considering buying a AI but have never seen one in the flesh nor do i have any sailing experience. i will be using it to fish from 99% of the time the other 1% will be taking friends for a quick cruise between fishing sessions. any considerations or thoughts as to what i need to think about prior to purchase?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As long as you start off in the right conditions (6-12 mph winds to start, little to no waves), you can mostly figure it out safely, with a little bit of reading (points of sail, tell-tails) and/or questions here. I never sailed before buying mine.

Safety gear is important, but depends where and how you are going to sail. I carry much safety gear, but I sail often over 5 miles from shore in Hawaii where a mishap could send me on my way to Tahiti! Where are you planning on sailing, what type of waters (river/lake/ocean) and how far from land?

Also, being out with others, preferably other sailing kayaks with similar range & spreed is the safest bet. (I bought 2 AI's)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I guarantee that once you realise how much fun the sailing is, that 99% dedicated to fishing will reduce significantly. You will love it.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are mainly interested in fishing, check out the yakass website: http://yakass.net/
It has everything you would ever want to know about using the AI as a fishing platform.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

reconlon wrote:

Safety gear is important, but depends where and how you are going to sail. I carry much safety gear, but I sail often over 5 miles from shore in Hawaii where a mishap could send me on my way to Tahiti! Where are you planning on sailing, what type of waters (river/lake/ocean) and how far from land?

im wanting to fish well offshore in South Australia, between 5-10km out. i will have a sounder gps combo, flares, radio, pfd, shark shield etc etc. its possible that ill be fishing alone coz where i wanna fish, it is highly likely to encounter great white sharks and not too many of my mates are too keen lol

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am also thinking about buying an AI. I now have an Outback SUV and a 2005 Tandem that no one will ever go out with me in. I have a sail that fits both boats, but I get nervous about being knocked over when I'm out in the choppy waters of the San Juan Islands. I typically go out alone, and almost always just putter around with my mirage drive, which is fun and great exercise a few nights a week after work.

My considerations for the AI are all about safety. I took sailing lessons 30 years ago, so I have the concept down, but haven't had any practice since then.

In gusty winds and choppy waves, is this thing as hard to knock over as it looks like it should be? What are the odds of me ever tipping it over if I stay out of severe weather? (I call Severe weather "small craft advisories" and up.)

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are worried about capsizing an AI, you might read my picture story about being caught in high winds (34 mph, gusting to 39 mph).
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=165
Scroll down a bit to the title: The Storm: AI/TI in 40 knot winds, shark encounter, tethered under a capsized boat

The bottom line is that the AI is a very stable boat. Capsize is unlikely unless you encounter huge surf. Of course, in winds above 16-18 mph, you will likely need to furl (reef) your sail a bit to maintain control of your boat.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon