Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PS - This system requires ZERO modifications to the PA. Nothing to drill or bore. Installs in less than 2 minutes. It requires the manufacture of one small part which we are offering to Hobie now. We'll see how that goes. This entire system, including motor, can be brought to the market for under $500 retail.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm confused....the video looks like the PA is being powered by a Bass Yaks system? Is this correct? I guess what I am confused about is that you say zero modifications, but you can clearly see a power cord in the PA being filmed, but maybe you're not filming your design.

Also, you mention retail of $500.00. Is this the cost for construction, or does this include the markup that will be applied to a system which doesn't exist anywhere else....because I'll bet the markup will be pretty high. Just like the Mirage drive itself, or Evolve, or whatever you want :D

I agree that a powered mirage would be a great alternative. You would also reduce fatigue on the drive well as you wouldn't have the force generated from pushing/pulling on the pedals.

Man you're cruisin in those shots :D

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This topic started months ago and has tons of views, but no pictures or ideas about how to actually to do it. Just super secret Bassy ideas and video that shows nothing.

Here is my first bracket for the PA.
Not sure what the big secret is, I thought this was a place to exchange ideas and share photos of modifications.

Motor Guide Saltwater 45lb motor: cost $200.00, walmart battery $50.00
Detatched the head unit, and extended the cable for the remote head.

There is nothing to see if you search for PA motor/mounts on Google. I did find a guy with a 2.5hp gas motor. http://youtu.be/0QQHZmlN-WI

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sharing is a wonderful thing. I've given and been fortunate to receive in kind. But none of us are necessarily entitled to someone else's ideas or methods.

This is something that is commercially viable and really opens up the power options for Hobie PA owners regardless of their creative abilities. Initial install time is about 3 minutes and after that, the propulsion unit can be installed and removed in less than 10 seconds. No mods required. Until we're through negotiating I'm not putting up a photo of the invention itself. There are very few mods I've ever made on one of my Hobies that I haven't freely shared, but this is something I'm playing close to the vest for the time being.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Now that outboard is a cool think. Only limitations would be lakes that don't allow it, but the main thing I like is if you can't use it, just take it off. Other possible issue would be fuel, but heck, there's all the unused space in the back of the angler, what's to stop someone from putting a small 10 gal. fuel tank there :D That would only be 70 lbs of weight.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

All in all, I think I like the outfit of TexasGeauxFish....simple, portable (if you designed some type of jack plate or such), plus, the PA has the room for yet another battery (if you want it). Not sure how long/far that one battery would last. The only thing I think I would want different is the handle size. Basically what you have there is an OceanKayak Torque unit, just on that back of a PA :D Make a battery box, put a small seat on it, and walla, portage for the kids :D

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are two of these systems currently in existence. We have been proving them for the past 8 months or so. No modifications to the PA are required. None. You do not need to bore or any holes or install any screws/bolts, etc. At most, you remove one factory screw and then replace it. Takes about 3 or maybe 4 minutes to install the special part at the outset. After that, removing or installing the propulsion unit requires about 10 seconds, maximum. We have gotten as much as 7MPH, but that's pushing it. We can guarantee 4.5 to 5 in most any conditions on high. The video shows me at an even 5 MPH.

I already have a job and do not plan to personally manufacture these (I invented and made the current two), but somebody will pick this unit up. I hope it will be Hobie as this is a natural accessory that could be offered for a fraction of what other PA propulsion systems are selling for (not a knock on them - they're good systems too). But for the average guy who just laid out $2400 for a PA, it's a little hard to swallow another $2000 or even $1000 for a motor package. Something at or below $500, complete, is a lot easier to swallow. And... if it's going to be offered as a system to consumers, it needs to be quick, easy to install, unobtrusive, durable and foolproof. We have such a system and are looking into having it manufactured.

In the meantime, we are having a blast with our two units. Sometimes we get on the pedals, slowly, and go by the electric powered johnboats and they assume we're getting that speed from the pedals. Great fun.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
There are two of these systems currently in existence. We have been proving them for the past 8 months or so. No modifications to the PA are required. None. You do not need to bore or any holes or install any screws/bolts, etc. At most, you remove one factory screw and then replace it. Takes about 3 or maybe 4 minutes to install the special part at the outset. After that, removing or installing the propulsion unit requires about 10 seconds, maximum. We have gotten as much as 7MPH, but that's pushing it. We can guarantee 4.5 to 5 in most any conditions on high. The video shows me at an even 5 MPH.

I already have a job and do not plan to personally manufacture these (I invented and made the current two), but somebody will pick this unit up. I hope it will be Hobie as this is a natural accessory that could be offered for a fraction of what other PA propulsion systems are selling for (not a knock on them - they're good systems too). But for the average guy who just laid out $2400 for a PA, it's a little hard to swallow another $2000 or even $1000 for a motor package. Something at or below $500, complete, is a lot easier to swallow. And... if it's going to be offered as a system to consumers, it needs to be quick, easy to install, unobtrusive, durable and foolproof. We have such a system and are looking into having it manufactured.

This post is such a tease...
Tom, you are KILLING me here...this is exactly what I want and need. Simple, easy and at a very REASONABLE cost. The price of the eVolve is off the charts and totally out of the question for me.

Between the video of you and your partner crusing around in your electric powered PA's and picts of SIFISTO's striper catches...I'm loosing it!!! ; )

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:30 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
The price of the eVolve is

In a large part due to it being just 16 lbs... all up.

All this talk about a simple mount for a trolling motor doesn't change the fact that the weight of a trolling motor and heavy lead acid batteries is the real bummer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The total weight of our system is 32lbs. 25 of that is the battery, although we are experimenting this weekend with a smaller unit. My partner is also looking into a lithium ion unit that would get the total weight down to just 14lbs, although those batteries cost a great deal more.

Everybody knows how much I enjoy and champion the Hobie products, but a $2000 trolling motor set up is definitely a "bummer" for most people. No doubt it's a fine system, but the price leaves the door wide ajar for others to provide systems with the same or better performance at far less cost.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's my question. Why not just share what your idea is? Most people who frequent a forum are honest enough to leave it be, and or do it themselves. If I had an idea that worked, and could save people a bundle of $$$, I wouldn't hesitate to share it and let others do what they will. Maybe you could gain a vast amount of assistance with ideas on saving weight, cost, time, etc. Just my $.02.
You have videos of going a decent clip with this product, but how do we know that your battery didn't die right afterwards :mrgreen: It would be like assuming that these people who bounce the ping pong ball off of 7 different walls and make it in the cup, can do that every time :D
:lol:
Also, if it is a good system, which it appears to be; why not just patent it, and sell the plans? Obviously you have a great deal of people interested in it on here, who may not be afraid to shell out $50.00 or so for the plans of what you're doing. Would probably be a lot more than what you would get in royalties from a manufacturer :)

Not trying to stir the pot and upset, just kindly sayin' :) That's right, I'm callin' you out.....hehehehehe

Last edited by CurtnAz on Thu May 26, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As I said before, this is commercially viable. If our battery died or this system didn't work, then I'd be happy to spill the beans - it wouldn't matter.

A patent is about $10,000 these days. And plans would be worthless. This isn't just a bunch of off the shelf parts cobbled together. It took an investment to get it done and requires a manufactured part and trolling motor that you can't buy.

The fact is, the future of kayak fishing is with powered boats and the Pro-Angler is something that many if not most owners would indeed power if they could do it for very little money (some will spend a fortune to do it, but not most). A system that can power a Pro-Angler with the best of them, requires no mods to the boat, is completely unobtrusive, retails for $500 or less complete and can be installed or removed in seconds, is worth something.

I had to invent and manufacture a special part and design the rest of the system. That's worth something and I don't owe anyone access to my idea or my work. I've shared plenty of ideas here on this very forum, but I'll keep this one to myself.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds like a good thing :) Just razzin' ya a bit but I guess you aint gonna budge....

I tried :) Can't wait to see when it comes out.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's okay, I don't mind.

It will be on the market at some point. I have two companies interested now. We're talking.

I just don't have time to be in the manufacturing business myself (I have an extensive machine shop here but it's for prototyping stuff) and this isn't something you could easily make yourself.

We even discussed just having the special part injection molded and selling that. But it would still require that the user buy and heavily modify a standard trolling motor and put together a wiring harness and switch assembly. Not everybody could do that and considering the amount that we believe the total system can retail for there's little use for anyone to bother. If I could have bought something like this complete for $500, or less, I sure wouldn't have taken the time to build one!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds like a good rig :) Next time you make a video though, make sure you do it in clear water so we can see to the propulsion unit :D

Are you able to turn using the motor, or is it simply there for propulsion?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next