Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 16 Tramp
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is the first Hobie I have had in 20 years. I do remember taking my tramp to the sail maker on my earlier boats and having them double grommet the tramp. The tramp I just picked up for this boat is an1978. Do I still want to double grommet this one? If so was it just the back or the center also. What size and kind of line do I want to use. I think I was using 5/16s Dacron i
before. And how much line do I need to finish the tramp. Thanks Mark

Post subject: Re: 16 Tramp
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

you can buy a double grommet kit from Hobie, it comes with everything you need and you can just do it your self. I myself if the tramp is in good shape would do the back and the middle to maximize the life. As for the lengths of the rope you can look that up in the Hobie Catalog, but you don't need that much.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Latrobe, PA, USA *** Show YOUR Location - Edit Profile ! ***
Hobiesailer8 wrote:
you can buy a double grommet kit from Hobie, it comes with everything you need and you can just do it your self. I myself if the tramp is in good shape would do the back and the middle to maximize the life. As for the lengths of the rope you can look that up in the Hobie Catalog, but you don't need that much.

Which brings up the question:
If Hobie tramps perform much better longterm (in some way*) with more grommets, why doesn't Hobie just offer them them that way? At least as an option?

* Certainly not resiliency or longevity (see below)

A related question:
Is there any (H16,H14) racing-related stipulation about tramp grommets, lacing, etc. ?
What is the tramp lacing like on the high performance cats like Tiger, Wildcat, etc. ?

I am adding more grommets to the tramps of my Turbo 14s... but that is because they are already 20+ years old and still in fairly usable shape- and I got a deal on ss grommets and tooling.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know for sure that Hobie puts double grommets along the back of the tramp, Not sure about up the center though. And they should offer it as an option!

Also I'm not sure if there are any stipulations about racing and grommets, I am almost positive there isn't, but don't quote me.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The aft lacing strip area is double grommeted the center is not. The tramps are built really well, and the majority of the racers do not double grommet these days. Still, it's not a bad idea. It's personal preference.