Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A new and possibly quick topic. How fast can the Hobie carts go if they were pulled?

Here's the scenario. We have 3 launch ramps at our lake (technically there are 7, but the 3 are within a 10 minute drive). These ramps (with exception of a busy beach area) are the only ramps to which one could unload a trailered PA. So, I thought of something else. Taking it down the ramp wouldn't be a problem on a cart, gravity is your friend :) Now taking a 130+ lb. boat up a ramp could be. Google Earth shows all ramps being a distance of 1/4 mile to each parking area, with a pretty steep grade (the shortest ramp is 220 yds., depending on water level)....So, my thought was, I could walk it down and let gravity do the work, but coming back up, if I could get a passerby to assist by letting me just stand on the bumper and hold the handle of the boat.....Which is why I ask, how fast can the carts go? Top speed of a truck up the ramp wouldn't be over 10 MPH...

With this method, then I wouldn't have to leave the kayak alone for a 1/2 hour at a time or whatever it takes to find a parking spot.

I've also thought of building some form of cart out of 1/2" tube or so which would double as a cart and a trailer that I could store on the yak while underway. Something out of PVC probably that could compact and be light.

Here is a picture of the shortest ramp, water is also pretty high here...

Any thoughts/ideas?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a LOT of RAMP! :o And I complain about pulling the boats up our ramp (50-75 feet)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

No kiddin'! :) Now you can see why getting a PA is a little scary :) Not only that, all those trucks on the side aren't allowed to park there anymore, and as I said, the water is pretty high there (although it's supposed to get pretty high again this hear ~fingers crossed~) But after the ramp is another walk to wherever you can find a parking space :D

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How I currently handle it with trailering my TI is fish (or sail, peddle) with a buddy. Then, one stays with the boats, while the other gets the vehicle.

The best Hobie cart with the foam rubber wheels (no air) has a 3/4" axle but plastic bushings. I wonder if you could find a SS bushing/bearings to replace it with? I would try it as it ships, but inspect it often.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I thought about that (with my scupper cart idea) but to have more of a trailer tire instead of the plastic bushing thing. Another thing I was trying to think is the difficulty of making some type of powered cart, but to push 130+ lbs. uphill would take one heck of a motor :) I think what I'll do is the idea with the wire cable. Every launch ramp has a dock, and every dock has cables, cleats, or something to tie down. Just send a wire through the drive well and lock it to the dock, or if I can find a cable/big rock on the beach, I'll do that with an anchor or something.

Gotta have the PA though :D

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My two cents: I don't think it's the cart that you need to worry about. A slow speed and short distance are not likely to cause that much of a problem with over heating the bushings, unless you have a lot of weight, but my fear would be the PA's scuppers. Once the tow vehicle accelerates, all that force will be put laterally on the scupper area.
I understand your problem and I would probably consider the same thing. I would just be overly cautious especially when accelerating/stopping, and go real slow over any bumps/potholes to make sure the cart/PA does not bounce. All of which is kinda hard when there is a stranger at the wheel.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You could use a larger cart with better components.

http://www.castlecraft.com/trailex_beac ... htm#Adjust

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

We used to have a guy here in Australia, he used to tow his kayak behind his ute/truck for a couple of blocks and seem to do ok I think, I will try to get an answer from him and let you know.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

TeamGeauxFish wrote:
You could use a larger cart with better components.

http://www.castlecraft.com/trailex_beac ... htm#Adjust

That's about exactly what I had in mind for an ATV cart to tow the PA behind our ATVs or Polaris RZR when going to the mountain lakes. The only thing I would change or perhaps modify if I could, is I would make the rear portion of the cart able to disassemble and act as a cart/dolly on it's own. Almost like the nose wheels that they provide. Or just utilize the scupper cart once you get where you want to go :) I think for overall transportation though (highways, boat ramps, etc) I'll end up purchasing a used jet ski trailer and modifying it to transport a PA. I have issues pulling trailers at high speed with wheels that are half the size of my Jeep tires :D Other thing with that Trailex cart is I would either use the supersize tires, or put ATV tires on (if I could). It would increase the weight, but I wouldn't be pulling it by hand all over and any additional weight & size would increase the stability.

Thanks for this idea....

MrGreen wrote:
all that force will be put laterally on the scupper area.
I understand your problem and I would probably consider the same thing. I would just be overly cautious especially when accelerating/stopping

Precisely why my thought of a cart/trailer won't be with scupper mounts, but have the molded PA cradles or a lengthwise platform/rest.

**edited for the last time** :D

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:55 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

You might try pushing the boat instead of pulling it -- easier to lean into it than having it poke you on the leg as you drag it -- and you have both hands easily available instead of one for a more comfortable lift. You might even rig a simple harness for pushing that hooks on the the front bar at a convenient height -- let your back lift instead of your arm(s).

Also, zig-zagging up the ramp is a longer walk, but much easier than straight up. When pulling the 190 lb. Tandem Island up a ramp, the difference is very noticeable! 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Roadrunner wrote:
You might try pushing the boat instead of pulling it -- easier to lean into it than having it poke you on the leg as you drag it -- and you have both hands easily available instead of one for a more comfortable lift. You might even rig a simple harness for pushing that hooks on the the front bar at a convenient height -- let your back lift instead of your arm(s).

Also, zig-zagging up the ramp is a longer walk, but much easier than straight up. When pulling the 190 lb. Tandem Island up a ramp, the difference is very noticeable! 8)

My only concern with pushing is the grade of the ramp and possibly scraping. It's a pretty steep SOB....as for as a strap, that would be a good idea. Almost like a pack frame, to which I've done plenty of those in my time :) I think it would be easy enough to get someone to give me a ride on a tailgate or something though, especially if they see me trying to lug that behemoth up the ramp :)
As previously posted though, what I may do is just tie the boat up somewhere, and get my Jeep. The only thing I don't like about that is you still have your gear (poles, Mirage Drive, etc). That's still a lot to pack up a hill... I'm still looking into plausible options; some of which include remote launching locations, such as old walkways which decend into the water, old beaches, etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

One of the trailers shown above

with something similar to this
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOWHNYa80y8&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
is something I have been thinking about. I have an ex electric golf buggy motor/gearbox/axle that I plan to try and modify and should be ok for such a short distance.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That could work (and probably would) but for the fact that you would make 4 trips....
1. Take the PA down the ramp and unload
2. Take the trailer/cart back up the ramp
3. Bring the trailer back down the ramp to load PA
4. Take the PA back up.

I think I'd rather just take my Jeep down :) Another thing I have also been thinking, which could work is to make a smaller cart (almost like the Angler Fish n mate) and load my gear into that for the trip back down after securing the PA. Then just put the cart in the rear storage. Actually, I just thought of that :D Maybe even somehow utilize the wheels on the TrailEx to hook onto the Fish N Mate, and come back down with it. Could even build it out of PVC to save weight, complete with rod holders and everything :D

Man these ideas are just coming to me because I thought of the perfect thing....scupper cart for wheels....INGENIOUS!! :) Sorry, sometimes I get excited.... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

ELM wrote:
We used to have a guy here in Australia, he used to tow his kayak behind his ute/truck for a couple of blocks and seem to do ok I think, I will try to get an answer from him and let you know.

Sorry, he only towed it the once, due to legal reasons, if not for those however, would do it all the time. Towed about 400 meters, said it travelled ok on sealed surface but would not use the Hobie cart as the axle etc is to weak.