Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Opinions about Hobie Adventure kayak with Mirage drive? How does the Mirage drive do in the ocean? How does it cope with kelp beds and surf? Anybody dive off this boat? Thanks.

As a complete newbie to kayaking I am looking at all the boats and have become intrigued with the Hobie Adventure. I like the idea of being able to peddle, sail, or paddle. What is the reality?

My primary goal is fishing, mostly freshwater until I learn the saltwater, with crabbing, touring, and diving as secondary goals. Freshwater I see no problems and many advantages to the Adventure. Saltwater, I plan to fish Northern California: Big Sur north to Bodega Bay as the nearest areas (with occasional trips .elsewhere).

I have a lot of experience with many kinds of freshwater fishing, some sailing experience, and ran an open canoe all over for years. Lately I have been introduced to saltwater fishing around Long Beach, Newport, etc., and have made one scouting trip to Catalina. I have fished and crabbed in Tamales Bay and Bodega Bay a few times also. I intend to take a few saltwater classes, clinics, and trips with CKS and others both in Southern and Central California.

If it makes any difference, I am just over 6’2â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi dw,
I think the Hobie Adventure is just what you are looking for, but then I'm biased because I bought one to use in the areas you described. I live in Benicia and spend a lot of time sailing Tomales Bay and I use to fish Bodega Bay quite a bit. Due to the horrible weather, I've only had my Adventure out a couple of times, but so far I'm quite happy with it. I haven't finished rigging it yet, but I'm making progress. I haven't tested it yet in the kelp, but if the kelp is too thick, you can always paddle. As far as surf goes, I don't have a clue and plan to avoid it for a while until I have a lot more experience. I'm not a diver, but if that is your main focus, there are probably better yaks for that.

A great web site to check out is: http://norcalkayakanglers.com/
and go to the forum for good local advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi dwwestesq and Welcome

I snorkel off my Adventure and its easy off and on. My main concern is getting far enough from traffic so I don’t get ran over. That’s where the Adventure + sail come in real handy to get to further destinations.

The drive fins even locked up will get caught on the kelp. When fishing I only go into a kelp bead a short way and I have had no problems. When crossing a large bed I usually have the fins dragging the kelp along. If I back up with the paddle it will clear. The drive is way too much of an advantage for me to complain on the short time crossing the beds. You can easily remove the drive and reinsert it when needed.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey dw,
Welcome to the Hobie Forum! Good questions. I grew up around Newport and Laguna, and spent a lot of time in and around Bodega Bay when I taught at the Bodega Marine Lab, and carried out research in the area. I didn't have a kayak back then, but based on my experience since then, I have to agree with OffRoad. The fins will hang up on dense vegetation such as lilly pad stalks (much like my experience in the California kelp beds) and heavy spring-fed river vegetation, even when folded up (as will the rudder). However,it takes only 10 seconds or so to pull the Mirage drive and reinstall it, so no big ting (assuming you have enough water under the keel to straighten the fins). But to get out to, and back from the kelp beds the Mirage drive will be great.

I would not want to have the Mirage drive installed when doing surf transits (even folded against the hull) since I would be afraid of damaging it (and the boat) during a rough return. I have only done one surf transit (successfully with the Sport), and had the drive leashed and on the bow. But always keep the drive leashed, either installed or on the bow. Just my $.02.
Good luck,
Dick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will be on the water June-July in an Adventure during a class or two and hope to agree with your encouraging words sufficiently to buy one soon after. I will look for the best deal, but all things being equal is there a dealer better equipped to support my range of endeavors and particularly deserving of support?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dw,
I know of a number of people who have had good experiences dealing with kayakfishing stuff.com. They are extremely knowledgeable and helpful to first time buyers, and they ship kayaks to any part of the country for very reasonable (in fact, free for some models) shipping charges.

Check them out here:

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/ri_kayak_pricing.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dw,
I bought my Adventure from KFS ( the link in Apalach's post above) and I'm quite satisified. It was shipped free to my door with no problems and there was no sales tax. Having something shipped is always a concern and you don't have a local dealer if you have problems, so it is a bit of a gamble. There is a Hobie dealer in Oakland and one in Sacramento but I have no experience with them. I've done a lot of business with Wind Toys in Santa Rosa and would have bought my kayak there, but after driving the 50 miles there to buy it, they were closed which upset me a bit so I ordered it from KFS and saved about $200 in sales tax.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the advice guys.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Going to Kiene's in Sacramento tomorrow for their annual Expo to check out this boat. Anyone using this boat? Comments? Thanks.

Well, that didn't work. The folks at Keine's confimed they were expecting someone with Hobie kayaks as part of their stuff - but after checking 4 times between 0945 and 1100 nothing to be seen.

Went to Adventure Sports and saw an Adventure behind a pile of boats there for pickup. Couldn't tell much except it was Sand color and a Fish version with the small original rudder. Did seem a shallow boat. They had not heard about the larger rudder, enhanced Mirage drive, and didn't think they had daggerboards until I pointed to two hanging on the wall. Also looked at the Outback, a bunch of Ocean Kayaks, Tarpons, and Perception boats. Can't tell much until I am in them on the water.

Made my pilgirimage to REI; some kayak gear but the folks were oriented to whitewater and no fishing.

Made my first visit to Dolphin Dive School and picked up the Blue dvd and some other freedive literature; nice folks, seemed solid. Jason, the point guy on free diving uses and inflatable dive kayak. My old scuba stuff way out of date. Work to do and money to spend to get back in the freediving game. Blue was a great view.

Still looking forward to getting up close and personal with an Adventure and several other kayaks before making a purchase decision

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

dw

If you go a little more south and stop by Dana Point Jet Ski they will give you free demos on the entire Hobie line any time their open. From the oohs and ahs I get when I am out you can tell sailing a kayak is still a new area but Hobie is changing that.

On the other hand I didn’t appreciate the harbor patrol all most swamping me to check out my kayak. Kayaks are not normally registered but with sail it’s required. I think they were trying to decide what to do with me but went on.

Post subject: buy it
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I take my adventure through the heart of the kelp forest. I
pull the drive out only when the kelp is laying on top of the
water, and then I'm pulling my self across the kelp with my oar
because its so thick you can't paddle through it. You will have to
raise the rudder too. Most of the time you can find paths through
the kelp. When you know you have to go across kelp, pump hard
before hitting it, then keep the fins up and glide over it. I find
I can clear the drive if kelp gets hung on it by just pedalling it off.
The rudder has to be cleared more often than the drive.
Do your self a favor and make a leash for your drive, so
if you have to pull the drive you won't drop it in the drink.
If I know I,m going to stay in the kelp somtimes I will pull
the drive and lift the rudder and paddle. The great thing about
the adventure is it is a good paddler. I've done some 10 mile
paddling trips with the adventure. When doing long paddles,
make sure you have the plug in the drive slot or water rushs
in. I must admit that after I do these paddles, I laugh and
tell myself I love my mirage drive.

Last edited by amsurferoceanbeach on Tue May 02, 2006 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

offroad and amsurferoceanbeach - thanks for your great posts! I am psyched to get on the water with these bad boys in and out of the kelp.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am taking a class in Newport June 9 and we are supposed to go into the kelp with a Mirage drive-equipped Adventure and a Mirage drive-equipped Outback. I will post a report.