Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

So, this is the sonar I intend to purchase when I get my PA; and with the help of another member, I have acquired the measurements of the mirage drivewell; to which I have concluded that the transducer should just fit....

My plan (because I don't keep things top secret) is to build a custom plug with the transducer molded in it, to some degree. Just for a nice and clean look.

Here's where I need some assistance. As I am a fish finder noob.

What plane does the transducer acquire it's images. Just the bottom, the bottom and sides, some of the top as well? I ask because with this idea, I do not want to cause interference if the transducer was embeded into the plug to some degree.

For instance, if I were to embed the transducer to the mold line on the side, would it interfere or be obstructed?

Another option would be the thru hull, to which same questions of embedding would apply.

Best thing about all of this is, I don't necessarily need a boat to do it, just a plug :) The process is to be determined....more than likely it'll be a combination of cast moulds, and resin infusion.

And I know some of you are probably asking, where would you put the pedals....my answer, probably in the forward storage bin as if I were to mount a transducer here, the PA would be powered by a trolling motor or some other form of propulsion :D Maybe I can get Michael Phelps to just hold on to the back handle and kick :D

**updated because I posted the wrong transducer, and posted another transducer pic. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Part 2 of questions is this. For those of you with experience in these units, what would a wall look like? For instance, a popular area for fishing where I live is a canyon, approx. 1,000 ft. wide in some areas. Obviously, IMO, scanning the open water would be pointless in that there are several thing which could occur, including gettin' hit by a boat :( So, scanning one side would be beneficial but if it'll scan 200 ft. down, and 100 ft, to the side, what would a wall look like :) Almost seems like you'd have to adjust the heck out of the contrast or something to pick out fish on the side.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good luck putting the Mirage drive in the front hold, it was never really designed to be an extra option. The Mirage is huge, and even with the pedals off it's huge as it should be. It does fit nicely on either side of the bait tank.

The only issue with sonar in the plug, is that you may need to use the Mirage. To glue the Sonar puck inside is an easy and clean option. I keep a record of the water temp, so I use mine on a $5 piece of aluminum bar off the side.
I have the 597DI, but SI is really where it's at.

Figured out battery options yet??, as the Humminbird will not like your 12v Deep Cycle trolling battery, too much noise interference. A 12v 8-10ah battery works great, 10ah battery will power the 7 Series for 30 hours before you need to recharge.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

CurtnAz wrote:
What plane does the transducer acquire it's images. Just the bottom, the bottom and sides, some of the top as well?

Bottom and sides with any Side Imaging (SI) transducer.

A well mount will work, but ensure the side of the 'ducer
have a clear "view" to either side. It must be low enough
in the water so that the bottom of the boat isn't in the way.
The Down Imaging (DI) feature will probably still work
if the sides beams are blocked.

The well-mount is a good approach for trolling motor
application. You have easy access to deploy the 'ducer
once you've launched so it won't hit bottom. Otherwise,
swapping the mirage and the 'ducer is impractical while
fishing.

Then again, you could just mount the 'ducer to the
trolling motor so long as the motor is fixed and
doesn't turn (rudder is used to steer). The 'ducer
can't rotate while SI is used.

Quote:
Another option would be the thru hull...

The DI feature will probably work, but SI definitetly
won't work thru-hull. I advise buying a less expensive
DI-only model for a dedicated thru-hull mount.

Quote:
...what would a wall look like?

I've seen trees, roads and bridges, sunken boats,
brush piles, etc but never a wall. It takes a while
to learn how to interpret what you see. But once
you learn the basics, it's not hard.

Search for "humminbird SI" at YouTube . Visit sites
which target your specific type of fishing. For example,
I visit "crappie.com" and they talk about using SI for
panfish. There are sites for saltwater, stripers, walleye,
etc and they all discuss how to use SI for each species.

These two sites are also good resources...

Humminbird Side Imaging Forums

Unofficial Humminbird Side Image Forums

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

HsvToolFool>>>

Thanks for all the info. As for the thru hull transducer, I know a shoot thru hull won't work with SI, but Humminbird classifies the second picture of the transducer I posted as a "Thru Hull" (basically drilling a hole through the hull I guess. Not a shoot through hull, which is what most people use. I'm still in research mode as to what to do, because the best option would be to fit a trolling motor through the Drive well, in order to create a similar thrust pattern in front of the rudder, rather than behind it which also decreases maneuverability. The only motor which will do that is the Torqeedo, and I personally think that shelling $2,000 for that is a complete ripoff. It'll be a long while before any of this takes place (although my other half is getting a promotion), but to save $3,000 for the boat, then another $1,500 for the sonar :) It may be a while. We'll see.

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

CurtnAz wrote:
, but Humminbird classifies the second picture of the transducer I posted as a "Thru Hull" (basically drilling a hole through the hull I guess. Not a shoot through hull, which is what most people use.

These are generally designed to mount thru one of the yaks existing scupper holes, Ocean Kayak and some of the other brands actually design their boats with one scupper specifically dedicated for mounting a transducer thru.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

TeamGeauxFish wrote:
Good luck putting the Mirage drive in the front hold, it was never really designed to be an extra option. The Mirage is huge, and even with the pedals off it's huge as it should be. It does fit nicely on either side of the bait tank.

Actually, the mirage drive sits quite well in the front hatch area if you leave the insert out of it. Lay it with the fins running under the deck and still plenty of room for dry bag, soft cooler, gear bag, change of clothes, etc...

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

redwolf wrote:
CurtnAz wrote:
, but Humminbird classifies the second picture of the transducer I posted as a "Thru Hull" (basically drilling a hole through the hull I guess. Not a shoot through hull, which is what most people use.

These are generally designed to mount thru one of the yaks existing scupper holes, Ocean Kayak and some of the other brands actually design their boats with one scupper specifically dedicated for mounting a transducer thru.

That would make sense, so long as the transducer maintain's a level plane and does not follow the contour of the kayak. I think it would also make it a lot easier to make a custom Mirage plug with the transducer molded in. Only time will tell, and there is a lot of time until I'll have my PA, and the sonar. Maybe I'll get lucky on a scratcher ticket :)

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Still wondering what a canyon wall would look like on the transducer, I know what columns and other objects look like, and they display as an elevated object from the surface of the ground. Honestly, I think a wall would be displayed as if you were looking at a down image, because pillars and other structure which protrudes from the service; take up the entire screen width.....That would be pretty cool though.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well, I got my answer....not entirely the answer I wanted, but the sonar would work. The entire wall would be black....basically, you would be scanning the water column going down 100ft., and whatever distance you were from the canyon wall. Would still be pretty effective in targeting schools of bait/fish and ledges, etc. Think I may opt for the 898c SI combo and mount it up front (on a special design I have in mind) just to gain another 50ft. of depth. I think that may help better in winter conditions when they go lower.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a look at the Humminbird 597 DI puck attached to a Mirage Plug

The under shot

Plan on trying this next time out, could be a great location. Never thought of putting it there, guess that's what place is for, to learn whats possible and what others are doing with the PA.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

AHHHH, TGF!!! You stole my idea :) Not really, but isn't it a perfect place though :) The only thing different I would have done is screwed the transducer mount to the plug. Doesn't really matter if that gets water in it :) Thinking the thru-hull transducer would be even cooler now....UGH!!!

Gotta get a PA, Gotta get a PA...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Geauxfish...what mount did you use to attach your unit to the rail? I really like that set-up. Thinking about going with the 798ci HD SI with the same mount for my PA.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

TeamGeauxFish wrote:
Here's a look at the Humminbird 597 DI puck attached to a Mirage Plug...

That looks good!

CurtnAz, although GeauxFish uses a 500-series which does
not support side-imaging, his photos shows that using the
stock mounting bracket locates the 'ducer well beneath the
hull so that the SI beams have a clear view to either side.

In fact, it appears you've got some leeway to mount the
transducer even closer to the bottom of the kayak if you
want. Assuming you don't cut into the plug, recessing the
transducer enough to interfere with the SI beams appears
to be impossible. The transducer cable and mounting extrustion
both require an inch or so of space. I'm guessing that a
custom mount which sticks the transducer right against
the plug would still allow the SI feature to work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

RAM makes the best options for mounting pretty much anything. Last time I just went direct to the website, all the pieces and parts are there as this is a custom project. It's always a custom project when your talking PA.

For any Sonar on the market there is a bracket: Just a plate with a RAM Ball on it.

Next is the extension arm between balls (yeah I said it), they make various lengths. Currently using the 1 inch extension arm to keep the sonar close to the edge and low .

Last is the rail mount, Hobie was pretty smart going with such a beefy system. RAM makes a single U and dual U rail mount. They make 2 different sizes, the rail is 1.25" DIA, so look for these items. Single U (RAM-B231-1U) Double U (RAM-B235U) Ram also makes a wedge mount for sail mount hole up front, some choose to locate their sonar there. I am always touching mine to zoom around my Navionics chip, so I need it within reach.

The silver bracket is from Titelok, designed as a rod holder mount it fits perfect.
It's just another option when you need a flat piece to attach to.