Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am new to the sport and want to purchase a hobie fishing kayak. I have read the comparisons between outback and revolution and found them very helpful but, I haven't seen any info comparing either to the pro angler. Can anyone help me? I will be fishing mostly gulf marsh (shallow) and gulf coast (surf).
Very interested on learning more about the advantages/disadvantages of the pro angler compared to the other guys.
Thanks,
Newguy123

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am in the same boat (no pun intended). There are threads in other topics which compare the others to the PA, or visa versa. As for if there's a specific topic, I think there are a couple. Just have to search, and read around. I think the general answer you're going to get is the usual one.

The PA is a beast and heavy, but it's a fishing machine....It's slower than the Revo and Outback (if the OB has Turbo Fins). Then, most of the people will probably say for surf (and even marsh conditions) you can't go wrong with the Revo...because especially in really shallow water, it'll be a lot easier to paddle when the mirage drive is not as convenient. They'll say that for stability, the order would go; PA, then OB, then Revo....and for speed, it would be just opposite :) But, a lot of people choose the Outback mainly because it's a combination of the 2; lighter, stable, and has tons of storage areas....then some people don't miss the storage when they "upgrade" to the Revo :)
But don't count out the Adventure :D

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=34660
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=35540

Just to display a couple. There are OODLES more out there....but the generally there are more comparison's between the Revo and OB, then you pic which one you like from those, and compare it to the PA.

Also, I'm not mocking or insulting any responses because there is a wealth of knowledge on here and good information; and also, I've beat this topic to a bloody pulp with research and information, both on here and other forums :) I've asked a few questions, and probably some which have been asked a thousand times, but I couldn't find an answer in some cases, and other cases, the question hadn't even been asked.

Good luck :D

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Pro Angler compares to no other Kayak. I spend a lot of time sight casting to Redfish and Speckeled Trout, and the PA is very stable.

I carry 7 rods with me at all times, and sometimes fish with 5 live baits as I cast with #6. All that and a bait tank, trolling motor, full size battery, full size Sonar and extra gear.

If you're a Kayaker, OB/Revo will feel right to you. If you're a true fisherman and want to bring tons of gear, stand, and feel stable, go with the PA.

How stable??, This Stable!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank y'all for the answers. Still not sure which one to buy but leaning toward the PA. Do any of u transport PA's in the bed of a pick up truck? Any issues there?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I forgot the imfamous...go test drive one and get what works for you :lol:

In all seriousness though, that's what it comes down to....what works for you. As TeamGeauxFish said, if you're a kayaker, then the Revo or Outback would suit, but if you want to do more fishing than kayaking, then the PA. A lot of people with a PA trailer it; mainly for simplicity because it can be lifted on a car; but after a day of fishing, and pedaling (if it's not powered) and sitting in the sun, the last thing I want to do is lift a minimum of 60 lbs. over my head. Not to mention, take all my gear out, etc.

When I get one, I'll be getting a PA. But I'm also going to trailer it, and eventually have it motorized, and have a 7" sonar on it. That being said, all of my gear will remain on it as well for transport. I won't store it with all the gear on (heavy stuff like batteries) because over time, the hull would get messed up. My concern with it is 1 lake up in Utah which is a neat lake that'll be a PIA to get it to, because you have to walk a little ways. But, that's 1 lake....so the pros definetely outweigh the cons in my situation and if I can't get it to that one lake; guess what, I'll shore fish there :D

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Three very valid posts concerning the "balance" when considering the three kayaks. I've got the PA and the Outback. I've been in the Revo and love it too. If you can't have em all...... I wish ya luck.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:05 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I've fished out of all three and my suggestion is the PA as long as you have means to transport it easily. Demo em and see what you like.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a PA and a OB and both are 09 models. I bought the PA without a demo as they were so new no one had any demos at the time. I have not been dissappointed at all with the PA. I wanted a Hobie for my son, we tried the OB and Revo. we both felt the OB felt more stable than the Revo.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As said above, give them a test drive to make the decision that's right for you. Realistically, there is no comparison to the PA, there has never been a kayak like the PA before and only a few very poor comparisons to it now. Even trying to compare other Hobies to the PA is like comparing grapes to grapefruit.

For shallow marshes, the PA will work, but prepare for a workout paddling or poling your way thru the 3-4 inch stuff. I use my PA in the bays, bayous, marsh, and BTB. In a good stiff wind, my wife can out paddle me in the Frenzy, but low wind or other calm conditions, I can pedal circles around her.

For BTB, I would recommend the PA, HAI, or Outback, for distance paddling, go with the Revo or Adventure (HAI). IF you're gonna be spending a LOT of time in skinny water, go with the Revo or Adventure also.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Pro Angler isn't really a kayak, it's more of a small boat. It's the ultimate fishing rig. The one thing that I can add is that even though, out of the 3 boats that you're talking about (PA, Outback, and Revo) the Revolution is the least stable, by kayaking standards, it's a VERY stable boat. So, once again, I'm another vote for trying them out to see what works best for you, I just thought I'd pipe up because sometimes in threads like this, someone who hasn't experienced the boats might get the impression that the Revolution is a little bit unstable. That's not the case. You're basically looking at VERY stable (Revo), EXTREMELY stable (Outback), and small fishing boat (Pro Angler).

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I thought I'd post one more thing....If you can't try them on the water, I would still go to a dealer and look at them, sit in them and see what will feel the most comfortable. If you're not comfortable in it on land, you aint gonna be in the water so don't have the mentality that you'll "get used to it". I say this because when I go to "test drive" any of them, it'll be a 4 hour drive and nothing on the water, but they have all of them for display. So, when I go, I'm taking my Cabelas Tackle back pack, and I'm going to sit in them, and simulate that I was pedaling....I'm not sure if they'll have racks that you can really get in them and simulate, but either way, I'm gonna sit in them, put my bag where I'll have it, see how easy/hard it is to access gear, rods, etc. All something to think about :D Just my couple more cents to pitch in the pot.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

CurtnAz wrote:
I'm gonna sit in them, put my bag where I'll have it, see how easy/hard it is to access gear, rods, etc. All something to think about :D Just my couple more cents to pitch in the pot.

Have not been in a Revo, so can't speak for it, Outback, have only sat "dry docked", but still had that feel that I could get anywhere on the boat at any time. In the PA, I can literally crawl all over the boat while on the water. I have literally stepped off of the dock onto both the bow and stern of the boat and walked to the seat.

On the Kayak Wars forum, there is a photo of a guy standing IN the seat, leaning over the side of the boat holding up about a 6' tarpon that would easily be in the 100# + class.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I usually fish in skinny water marshes in La. I had the PA and loved the boat. It is what everybody said above. I sold it to get a Revo. I frequently fish alone in the marsh and because of the added weight and it being hard to paddle in shallow water the Revo was a better choice for me in that situation. I wwill probably buy another PA in the future for bay fishing. Try to paddle them all bfore you make a choice and also try to address how you are transporting the boats.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

redwolf wrote:
On the Kayak Wars forum, there is a photo of a guy standing IN the seat, leaning over the side of the boat holding up about a 6' tarpon that would easily be in the 100# + class.

It ain't that big :)

Definetely shows stability, or some super balance on the angler's part :) I also saw a picture of a PA with a stand & fish system.

For when super stability is not enough, and you just need to kill the meaning

And just for fun....this guy knows the meaning of fishing :)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for all the advice and info. I went out and tested all 3 today. I ended up buying the PA and the outback. When I was going I thought I was gonna get a PA and a revo but, I thought the OB was a little more stable and a bit better fit for me. I didn't get to test them out in really skinny water as we have in the marsh here in LA so I hope I am not disappointed. I upgraded to the turbo fins on the OA.
Hope it all works out. thanks again for the advice and pictures.