All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

HsvToolFool wrote:

That looks good!

CurtnAz, although GeauxFish uses a 500-series which does
not support side-imaging, his photos shows that using the
stock mounting bracket locates the 'ducer well beneath the
hull so that the SI beams have a clear view to either side.

In fact, it appears you've got some leeway to mount the
transducer even closer to the bottom of the kayak if you
want. Assuming you don't cut into the plug, recessing the
transducer enough to interfere with the SI beams appears
to be impossible. The transducer cable and mounting extrustion
both require an inch or so of space. I'm guessing that a
custom mount which sticks the transducer right against
the plug would still allow the SI feature to work.

I agree....doesn't look like it would interfere at all, and also looks like there would be no interference from cavitation or air bubbles from the pocket, as it would be low enough. That's the place I've thought all along with a powered PA....Drive well plug. It's almost like Hobie though, hey, we'll make this thing flat, and see what they do with it :D No need to recess the transducer at all, just screw that puppy in...

Although looks like tightlines is gonna beat me to the punch :) It's cool though.

Y'all don't know the other idears I have :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a Humminbird 797c2 side scan sonar and a Humminbird 788ci. I actually prefer the larger screen on the 788ci. I don't really care for the side scan FF.
I mounted the FF on the rail using a Mad Frog Liberator mount with transducer arm mounted on a Scotty FF mount which in turn is inserted in a Scotty rail mount rod holder. I use a 5 amp 12 volt sealed gel battery which is in a Walmart waterproof case. no holes were drilled anywhere and it takes a minute or two to set everything up. I was afraid I would snap the transducer arm off but no problems after a year of usage.
I also have other Scotty rail mounts which Scotty rod holders are mounted on risers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Awesome...looks like the perfect set-up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

CurtnAz wrote:
So, this is the sonar I intend to purchase when I get my PA; and with the help of another member, I have acquired the measurements of the mirage drivewell; to which I have concluded that the transducer should just fit....

My plan (because I don't keep things top secret) is to build a custom plug with the transducer molded in it, to some degree. Just for a nice and clean look.

Here's where I need some assistance. As I am a fish finder noob.

What plane does the transducer acquire it's images. Just the bottom, the bottom and sides, some of the top as well? I ask because with this idea, I do not want to cause interference if the transducer was embeded into the plug to some degree.

For instance, if I were to embed the transducer to the mold line on the side, would it interfere or be obstructed?

Another option would be the thru hull, to which same questions of embedding would apply.

Best thing about all of this is, I don't necessarily need a boat to do it, just a plug :) The process is to be determined....more than likely it'll be a combination of cast moulds, and resin infusion.

And I know some of you are probably asking, where would you put the pedals....my answer, probably in the forward storage bin as if I were to mount a transducer here, the PA would be powered by a trolling motor or some other form of propulsion :D Maybe I can get Michael Phelps to just hold on to the back handle and kick :D

**updated because I posted the wrong transducer, and posted another transducer pic. :D

What did you ending up doing with your transducer?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Can you repost your Transducer pictures?