Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New or used?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking for opinions on buying a used wave vs a new wave. General comments would be appreciated, but I am also including some specifics.

I would buoy the wave 2.5 hours from home on a long, narrow, rocky lake in northern Minnesota. No public access, so very little motorboat traffic-ideal sailing and rowing lake by Minnesota standards. My parents live there year round and would use it, but not frequently. I'd use it only 10-12 times per season for the near term. We have some sailing experience and owned a Hobie 16 when I was a teenager. A wave is perfect for us. I like the durability of the roto hulls, that it can be sailed aggressively, and that it can be daysailed with a fairly large payload.

I have been looking at boats for 3 summers now and am growing impatient. Waves are very hard to find used in this part of the country (Minneapolis). I am on a used wait list with my local dealer and have seen only 1 boat roll thru all summer.

So, there is a 1996 wave for sale by a private party an hour away. No trailer. $2,700. Seems a little creaky and pricey. New waves sans trailer are going for $5,200 at the local dealer. I have the money at hand, but it simply feels hard to justify a new wave given my particular circumstances-short season, 2.5 hour distance, etc. BUT, I am heading to the lake 2 weekends from now and really like the idea of giving a wave a new home in the harbor while I am up there.

I have the resources and have been patient but don't want to be foolish.

Give me some help. What do I do?

Post subject: Re: New or used?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased my 2nd used wave. These things a very durable and unless someone was extremely careless they are hard to damage. I love the wave because they are simple to set up and sail. They dont really require any maintanence. Dont blow your money on a new one when you can find one with the extras, trailer, jib and backrests for half the money.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Congratulations on finding the Wave you wanted, that is cool. I also had a chance to go used but figured once I added all the stuff I wanted it would of cost not much less! But having said that there were a few times that I thought you know "New boats are not for New sailors", I had made a couple of mistakes that had it not been for the tuffness of the Wave would of cost me for sure! Cause of the way that I have to launch, my storage on the lake a tractors buts the boats in, so everything has to be rigged except for the sails and there is some qiuck line shifting at the ramp, but all the bugs are worked out. Except for sometimes making too quick of an approach coming in ouch cement ramp, try not to touch at all the picture as you can see http://e-zboat.com/lake_conroe_weather_camera.cfm I just kind of scoot in and pull to the side tye up to the rail and start everything backwards.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's almost two weeks since original post but...

Check the sails, the battens, and the batten pockets (they can crack) on the used Wave. Check the hulls for deep cuts or scratches. Check for cracks in the hull around the sockets where the crossbars go in. Check the fittings where the shrouds and forestay connect for looseness. Look at the rudder pintels for looseness. If you price a replacement sail (about $700, I think) or hull (more than a sail), $2700 price becomes only a $1K less than a new boat when you add in the replacement costs. The Wave is pretty tough, pretty durable, pretty tight, and unless there is obvious damage or looseness, you are probably ok. Personally, I like new because I got warranty and I got best parts working new and don't like rehab. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies. I have spoken with my local dealer and have been assured that volume will pick up. It has been an unseasonably cool spring, so boats just aren't moving. I'm going to be patient and hope to get a used Wave (that has been vetted by the dealer) this summer.