Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Myers wrote:
1. Did you say in your original post that you cut the pipes down from 10 foot to 7.5? I ask because you mention directly above that you intend to put rods in them, and most rods are know of are 8-9 feet. 

2. What do you make of the comment regarding thickness of PVC and its likelihood of cracking, compared to the poster's recommendation of "pression PVC". I googled it but only came up with French websites, so not sure what to make of that.

3. We live in Austin, TX. I grew up vacationing on South Padre Island, but I haven't been back since I got serious about fishing. I definitely plan to fish the flats for reds with the new PA.
Myers

Little over 7 and 1/2 feet. Most of my rods I would fish with for bass are 7.5 or smaller. I usually store them in the SUV but I thought this would be an option. I do have to take the reels off to do that.

I am not worried about the thickness of the PVC. It seems very sturdy, as I said, I can sit in the kayak on the trailer no problem. It is recycled sewage pvc. It has some flex to it. It is out of the sun most of the time so it should not get too brittle.

Texas is pretty big. My sister used to live in Temple so we made a trip to Padre a couple of times when visiting her there. But now that she is up in the pan handle, we haven't been down that way. Her husband has a cottage on the San Juan in New Mexico. I would love to kayak that river and fly fish the rainbow. Have done a guided float trip and used waders to fish it a number of times. Great place to catch some fish.

Good luck when you get your PA down to South Padre. I would think that would be a blast.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was wondering how to fit my PA to my trailer, so I took the advice given here and it works great. Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Glad it worked out for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

wildbill and de-tension,

Since you both have working versions of this PVC trailer solution in place, let me ask you a question.

I built mine this weekend. I made one change in how I did it from what you did. Instead of using U-bolts, I just bolted straight through the PVC pipe and cross bar with a bolt, locking washer and nylon locking nut.

My question is this. Have either of you seen your cross bar bending? At first, mine did not, but after I tied down the PA and drove 15 miles (paved roads), I noticed a distinct bend in the front cross bar. I'm certain that the added pressure of the tie downs plus basic road bumps caused it.

Have either of you had this problem?

I am going to have to reinforce the cross bar. The first bumpy road I drive on, I feel certain the cross bar would break.

If this hasn't happened to you, then I'd have to conclude that I either have a different gauge cross bar, or my drilling a 3/8" bolt through the cross bar compromised its strength.

Thanks for sharing any thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I built mine on a jon boat trailer, but I would bolt the pvc to a couple of 2x4's and then bolt them to the cross bars, that would d o away with the flex.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I find the cross bars do bend a little. PA is a heavy yak. I used ubolts so that I had the ability to loosen them and reposition if needed. I was thinking about putting a support in the middle of the crossbar.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

As promised pictures of the trailer:

The two arches can be take off, I just use them when I take an Outback for test journeys...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Myers wrote:
never mind -- I just checked the boat sitting on top of the Mako saddles from Yakima... After only 2 days they already have hull indentions.

I moved the boat off the trailer onto its side on top of a carpet for now.

This answers my question - I cannot use the Mako saddles for storage. I plan to take them off and implement your PVC solution. Wish me luck.

Not only will you end up with dents in the hull but most likely the Mako saddles will collapse from the PA's weight. I have six Mako saddles supporting my PA and the last time I looked two of the saddles have collapsed. I emailed Yakima and they said the Mako saddles are NOT designed for the weight of the PA. I am switching to Hobie's PA cradles.

Last edited by atavuss on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, New PA owner..... I was wondering has there been any hull dents with your set up and do you store the PA on the trailer all the time....I really like your set up. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have seen no warping of the hull on the pvc piping. My PA sits on the trailer all summer. Much better than saddles.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How far apart are these pipes?
What is the spacing between them?

thanks

Salt: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeb5zOGDfoKlEPsMK5GBUOge_Qz5u2koH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

SHRED56 wrote:

thanks

I can go measure them, but to be sure you like the placement, I would put the pvc on the trailer and sit the yak on top of them and make sure you are happy with the positioning, then mark and attach. I used u bolts so I was able to loosely put them together and with the yak sitting on top I could tighten it into place. My pa is a 20009 or 2010, I would guess the bottom mold is the same, but I would just use your own positioning to determine spacing. I can go out to the garage and measure if you think it will really help, but depending on the distance from the front bar or mount to the back one might change the distance between the pvc anchor points as the kayak is wider in the middle than the ends.

If you decide you really need measurements, let me know and I will go take a bunch, it is just really cold out in my garage right now. :-(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

de-tension wrote:
SHRED56 wrote:

thanks

I can go measure them, but to be sure you like the placement, I would put the pvc on the trailer and sit the yak on top of them and make sure you are happy with the positioning, then mark and attach. I used u bolts so I was able to loosely put them together and with the yak sitting on top I could tighten it into place. My pa is a 20009 or 2010, I would guess the bottom mold is the same, but I would just use your own positioning to determine spacing. I can go out to the garage and measure if you think it will really help, but depending on the distance from the front bar or mount to the back one might change the distance between the pvc anchor points as the kayak is wider in the middle than the ends.

If you decide you really need measurements, let me know and I will go take a bunch, it is just really cold out in my garage right now. :-(

I was planning on ordering my PA then building my trailer so the trailer would be ready to go pick it up the PA.

--

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Measured distance between the pvc pipes. 11 1/4 inches centre to centre.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

de-tension wrote:
Measured distance between the pvc pipes. 11 1/4 inches centre to centre.

Hope that helps.

Thanks DT!

---

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next