Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New i12s
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I have an i12s that will be here Friday. I have been using a much cheaper brand inflatable but couldn't pass up $1,400 on a 2011 i12s that has never been out of its bag. I have researched it quite a bit but was curious what sort of things some of the current owners can recommend.

Anything I should address before putting in the water? Any specific accessories I should pick up? Etc.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: New i12s
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The larger sailing rudder is better whether you intend to buy the sail kit or not. It makes a big difference in handling. If you buy one, there is a special one for the inflatables.

Enjoy!

Feathercraft Big Kahuna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the tip. Took it out today and that was the biggest problem I had. There were several instances where I was pedaling with the rudder straight and the kayak would all of a sudden start shooting left. I would turn the control all the way right with no response. I could stop pedaling and move the control left and right several times and it would straighten out. Not sure what the deal was.

I will say this, my buddy has the Mirage Sport and we both bailed out to cool off. The i12 was much easier to reenter. He had some issues. But we were both successful. I am also very surprised the Hobie pump doesn't have a built in pressure gauge.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:42 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
all of a sudden start shooting left. I would turn the control all the way right with no response.

This is not due to rudder size. This is due to not locking (cleating) the rudder down. Pull the down line till the rudder is all the way down. Then tension the line and place in the cleat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought the Hobie pump would only pump up to a certain poundage. Or is the valve the item that will only take "x" amount of pressure and not let anymore air into the yak? Anyone know for sure? thanks for the help. MATT are you out there?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thinwater skinner wrote:
I thought the Hobie pump would only pump up to a certain poundage. Or is the valve the item that will only take "x" amount of pressure and not let anymore air into the yak? Anyone know for sure? thanks for the help. MATT are you out there?

Great question. I have noticed while pumping I start to feel air coming from the top of the pump once it starts getting full.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Installed the turbo fin kit and the large rudder last night. Can't wait to take it out today and feel the difference. Keep you posted.