Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am about to buy a outback and I am very interested in the sailing ablility. Without a centerboard it seemd that the yaks must get a little squirrley in a good breeze. I was thinking that if you pulled the peddle drive it would be a good spot to put in a fabicated dagger board. You could run it alittle above and brace it from the yaks sides if more support is needed.

Post subject: Dagger Board?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:43 am 
Site Admin

It has been done. You don't need a dagger board for sailing the Outback. Actually the fins work very well when held in the down position. Also, as the wind comes up in strength, you really need less dagger, not more.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Mineson--I am new on this forum--just discovered it--this is my very 1st post.

I have also have the Outback Fisherman--I wasn't happy the way it pointed upwind--when sailing---so I made up a wooden adapter to go in the slot where the pedals go, and I made a slot to take a a wind surfer centre board, which can be folded back and only hangs about 8 inches below the bottom (for shallow water) --in deeper water it hangs down about 2 foot. I can now point higher into the wind--about 50º which is a LOT better than the "Flippers" BUT remember--down wind you really don't need anything--in fact a deep centre board could make you round up into the wind. (Thats what used to happen when I was wind surfing)
I have also made up a roller reefing for the mast, which is a great advantage IF the wind is too strong. I have also a used about a 1 inch wooden dowel about about 5 foot long, with a screw in one end, that I can stick into to the eyelet of the sail, to hold the sail out wide when doing a down wind run. The other end on the dowel I stick in the drink holder and then throw my lure over the side and do I have fun !

If you would like a photo of what I have done please let me know.

Post subject: Choke1's rig pics
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Choke1, I'd like to see your rig for the sail. Especially the roller reef.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes!... Please post photos. Others have mentioned rigging roller furling on their Hobies but I don't recall seeing clear pictures with descriptions of how it was done. Rather than using a center board I'm thinking the new "Turbo" fins would be a big help plus the added thrust they'd provide when coming about. As with the standard fins they can be folded up against the hull when sailing down wind. Last I heard, Hobie will be releasing their "Sidekick" amas this summer so sailing upwind will be a much dryer experience. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mineson said:
Quote:
I was thinking that if you pulled the peddle drive it would be a good spot to put in a fabicated dagger board.

Welcome to the Hobie Forum, mineson. Funny you should ask--I just posted a pic of someone who has done just that. Check out this post.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=3398

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry I haven't got back to you all sooner but I have been away from home. I will take some pics as soon as I can and post them here.

Arty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi again I am a bit lost here I wish to post some pics but can someone tell me how--thanks
Arty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok I think I have worked it out--to send the pics ? I hope :?

Here are some pics of the modifications that I have carried out--

The roller reefing has two advantages: 1st /it is very quick to pull in and out--but I have to over come the 2 ropes getting tangled: 2nd/ you can reef the sail in a lot and still sail with a decent wind ( I was sailing in 25 knot winds with 18" of sail out)

Notice the downhaul on the sail is now connected to the mast above the two rollers I have used a rubber hose clamp and a plastic cup hook (a bit rough) for the down haul.
I have had to use two rollers because I found it was easier to pull the sail out with one and in with the other. (they are boat trailer rollers--neoprene-- I cut one inhalf and drilled them out with a 22mm hole saw)

Most of the time there is no trouble tacking or gybing without pedaling, occasionaly I have to grab the paddle ( maybe beacause the rudder is not big enough?)

I find having a cleat to lock in the sheet off the main sail very handy.

Note the wooden dowel 3/4" dia' and about 5ft long ( with a screw in the end) to hold the sail out when sailing down wind, if the wind isn't too strong.

There is a pic of the elec' out board bracket, which is very easy to attach.

If any one wants to know more give us a cooee.
Arty[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/Platycat/Rollerreefingandpole.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/ ... dblock.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/ ... racket.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/ ... eefing.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/ ... eboard.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/ ... oardup.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/ ... rddown.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/ ... ngsail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/ ... wnhaul.jpg[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Choke,
First off—welcome to the Hobie Forum. Second, thanks for the pics of your handiwork. If I might make a suggestion about pic posting, it would be the following. It is much easier for the reader (and actually for the poster) if one posts the actual IMG file from Photobucket, rather than the URL. That way your pics will all show up in the body of the post rather than having to be opened individually by the reader, and then having to toggle back and forth between the pic and the text to see what the pic is all about.

To do this in Photobucket, simply move up one box to the one labeled “IMG messages for message boards.â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:D Thank you very much Aplach for your help---I will sure try that--I was worried when I saw how big they came through--thanks again for your great help--I will try and do that now---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:oops: Sorry for those other links --I hope this works ok --thanks to Apalach--I have tried the method he suggested.

[img]

Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:oops: It seems they have still come out far too big-- seems like I need a bit of practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WTG Choke--good job--much better. But you're right, they are still a tad too big. If you have some photo editing software, it is easy to correct. I use Photoshop Elements and simply re-size them to no more than 8x6 inches max, since this seems to fit the software frames the best without reducing the size inordinately. I do this before loading them into Photobucket so that this can load the pics very quickly, and does not get hung up on a large file size. My digicam is a 5.1 mp and its pics come out as 36 x 72 inches unless you reduce them to a size the Hobie Forum software (or any site software) can handle easily. Don't forget that if something gets loaded on the site, and you want to reduce it later, or alter something after posting, you have full control of that by hitting the "edit" button. Took me a while to figure it all out, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature pretty quickly.

P.S. Now that I can see the pics together, your new adaptations become very clear. I especially like the centerboard adaptor for the BigA daggerboard--very cool! Thanks for the ingenuity on this, and the other projects.
Best,
Dick

Last edited by Apalach on Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Isn’t it an Outback?