Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For all those wanting to buy any of hobie europe's boats, I am sure hobie would bring one in the next container they bring over if you prepay for the boat. That might be a year from now, but it could be done. With the floating exchange rate, and no replacement parts, you may have bought more than you bargained for. Really, look at the current exchange rate, and the cost of the boat with added shipping, and if it looks good, call Matt with your Amex number and prepay buy it.

Really, I've owned most of these boats over the years. When you are ready to "step up", the 16 makes the most sense. The getaway is a great family boat, especially if you sail off a rocky shoreline, but if you want to "step up", the 16 is the right choice. The rigging is similar to the wave, raise the main, down haul, attach blocks, and if it takes you 20 minutes to hoist a jib and attach a tiller, you are moving really slow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased a new Wave and sailed it in the waters around Charleston, SC for a week and agree with all the comments here. If the wind is blowing and you are solo, it was a blast. Lighter wind or with an extra person on board it felt under powered. It is clear that Hobie is not going to make any changes to the models, I did not consider the Getaway due to the 390 pound weight. I did love being able to walk to the beach and in 10 minutes roll it to water on Cat Trax, hoist the main and be out in the water. Some people mentioned the Nacro, I looked around and saw this http://www.kosailing.com/boats.cfm?p=6964&g=1&b=43. It is less than 15 feet, 280 pounds with 165 sq ft of sail. Hulls are fiberglass not plastic. I am not seriously considering changing over since I just bought the Wave and I am happy with it overall. Just curious, has anyone been on a Nacro 450/460?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, they look nice. I wonder how the Nacra 460 stacks up against the wave? Anyone know of anyone who owns one of these?

1983 Laser
1980 Swinger (AUS)
1974 Manly Junior (AUS)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think the sail area on the 460 main sail is about 135 sq ft and 30 for the jib, so to compare it to wave with just the main it would have about 135 vs 95 (40% more sail area) with about the same weight. It also has a single trap which would be nice. Again, I am happy with the Wave but if Hobie made a boat like this, I would be all over it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know it's sacrilegious to talk about anything other then Hobie on these forums, but wouldn't this be a "Super Wave"? Durable non fibreglass hull. 12, 14, or 16 foot hulls. Performance minded, instead of passenger carrying capacity.

I know nothing about them, but it seems to be the type of thing that others are talking about. There's a YouTube video out there somewhere with someone hitting these hulls with a rubber mallet with no damage, so it's got to be similar stuff to the Wave. It seems to have several options to take it from a sailing school type of boat, right up to a full on racing boat. Optional trapeze system for one or two sailors. It's interesting.

http://www.toppersailboats.com/14cat_why.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just had a great day on my Wave, dumped it and kept on sailing when I feel I am ready for another cat it will Hobie 16, and will still sail my Wave for its fast, easy set-up for solo sailing. I have not been doing this long, but checked all these other brands out at my local sail shop and the Wave is a best buy solo or with friends, that are out to have fun. If Hobie comes out with another cat between Wave and 16, we'll see until then , I'm having a HOBIE day as is!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Seems to me an optional larger sail and jib would help in light winds, but that might require a taller mast. I liked my H16, but it was too much to sail with my wife in much wind - wished it had optional smaller sails.
I don't own a boat - leaning towards a Getaway (2 kids to carry, not looking for speed and complexity, so the H16 is out). The huge weight increase (compared to Wave) is disappointing though. Yet it "only" carries 1000lbs versus 800 for the Wave. I guess the hulls are thicker to handle the front tramp and wings.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cny_ap wrote:
The huge weight increase (compared to Wave) is disappointing though. Yet it "only" carries 1000lbs versus 800 for the Wave.

I've been looking at both the Wave and Getaway, and my understanding is that, although the maximum capacities on these boats are only 200 lbs apart, that the performance windows are much different.

For example, 500 lbs of passengers on the Wave, although perfectly safe, will impact performance significantly. While the same 500 lbs on a Getaway will have much less effect.

So it's not so much about weight capacity, as realistic performance at any given payload. I would highly doubt that there are many Wave owners who sail regularly with 500 lbs of sailors, while the Getaway owners wouldn't flinch at taking that much weight, and would still expect a high level of performance, and an entertaining sail.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My 2 kids and I currently add up to about 380-400 lbs...doubt my wife would come often, she's "scarred for life" from when we owned a H16 15 years ago (pre-kids). :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone mentioned that a Hobie 17se might fit the bill? I know it's not a current production boat and is fiberglass but it is flexible enough to be single-handed - jib can furled if wind gets too much and can handle extra passengers if the circumstances are right in which case the extra power from the jib would be desirable. I haven't seen many on the used market (I think that this is a sign that people who have them are not letting them go)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie 17 can't carry much weight at all - very small hulls. :shock: The Hobie 18 version with wings would be good if the mast and sails were smaller.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

cny_ap wrote:
I liked my H16, but it was too much to sail with my wife in much wind - wished it had optional smaller sails.

The 16 used to have a reefable main. You might check if they still have any.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think mine was reeefable actualy...I assumed they all were but nobody ever did so...wasn't sure how to either. H16's hulls are too small (narrow and short) for anything but racing in my opinion.