Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help Sail rigging
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am a new owner of a Tandem island an I am having a great time with it.

Howwever, I would like to ask what I hope is not too dumb a question. When I rig the line that connects to the sail clew in the way recommended in the instructions for rear control I have 3 portions of line running between the back of the boat and the sail clew (up to the sail, down through the block at the rear of the boat , and up again to tie off the line with a bowline knot). However all of the pictures show only 2 portions of line. Can someone explain to me or show me a picture of the right way to do this.

We have been having problems with the lines hitting the head of the person sitting in the back (usually me, and I am only 5'7''). I gather from this forum that this is a general problemm but I imagine that the way I have it rigged doesn't help matters.

Thank you in advance for your help.

R Yolken
Tyaksin, Md

Post subject: Re: Help Sail rigging
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not sure what pictures you are referring to, but the "normal" rig which permits control from either seat provides only a 2:1 advantage, and you will therefore see only 2 lines running from the clew to the rear of the hull. In order to get a 3:1 advantage, you need 3 lines. In either case, the person in the back seat gets to know them very well when tacking or jibing. Just be sure that you have a keeper strap on your sunglasses or you will have my son's experience, where the mainsheet snagged his Oakleys from behind and tossed them into the bay. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That is very clear.

Thanks so much for your help.

RY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So now I know how to set up the sail for the 3:1 ratio. Can someone point me to a diagram or instructions how to reset the rigging to the 2:1 ratio in case I again want people in front or in back to be able to adjust the sail. My main question is where to tie off the line that goes to the sail clew.
Again, please accept my apologies for asking such basic questions, and my thanks to those who kindly provide the answers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The best illustration of the standard mainsheet rig that I could find is on page 3 of the TI manual http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/suppor ... Manual.pdf

What you have, essentially, is a "loop", with the mainsheet simply passing around the pulley at the clew hook. One end of the line passes through the camcleat on the front aka, and the other end through the camcleat on the rear aka. Both ends should then have stopper knots to prevent their escape - but neither is actually tied "to" anything.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great---I can now see how it is rigged.

Thanks for your help.