Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm going to be picking up my new-to-me 18SX from its previous owner in a month or so. To get the boat and trailer back to where I'm going to be storing it the rest of the year, I need to make reservations on a ferry, for which I need to give the ferry company dimensions of my load.

Do any of you know the size of an 18SX loaded on the trailer? I would guess somewhere around 27' long (tongue to the back, not counting any mast overlap with tow vehicles), 8.5' wide, and 9' tall- can anyone who has done this before confirm these for me?

Thanks,
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

8.5 feet wide,
by 29 feet.
The mast is 28.5 feet
The trailer with boat is like 21 feet, but mast extents past the front and back. of trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

jmecky wrote:
8.5 feet wide,
by 29 feet.
The mast is 28.5 feet
The trailer with boat is like 21 feet, but mast extents past the front and back. of trailer.

Thanks. About how much of that 29' is hanging over the tow vehicle? I need to give the ferry the total length (trailer +tow vehicle) so overhang over the car doesn't add anything to my total length.

What about height of the tip of the mast? My 9' was based off what I've seen in pictures online, but the mast was off the trailer when I looked at the boat so I haven't actually seen it loaded in person.

Thanks again, this is going to make my life much easier when i go to pick it up.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It depends on the trailer. If your mast rest is high enough, you could for the purpose of the ferry, overlap the car quite a bit. as mine sits on the trailer i have roughly 4 feet behind the trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

goretalon wrote:
It depends on the trailer. If your mast rest is high enough, you could for the purpose of the ferry, overlap the car quite a bit. as mine sits on the trailer i have roughly 4 feet behind the trailer.

Thanks. I'd forgotten that I could move the mast fore and aft, so I'll call it 25' and if needed I'll shift around the mast. I'm sure they won't kick me off the ferry if i'm 6" longer than I thought!

Steve