Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
I just registered for this forum, but I have been reading the threads as a guest for several months.
I am the proud new owner of a slightly used Wave & trailer, but I have sailed my cousin's Wave for several years.

I absolutely love the Wave!
Hobie sure 'nailed it' when they designed this one.

I have searched the threads & used Google, and I have not been able to find the 'footprint' that the Wave has.

I am trying to figure out some trailering, beaching & storage options, and I am mostly interested in how wide of a 'footprint' the Wave has when resting on the trailer or on the ground.

I would take a tape measure and measure the bottom span of the hulls myself, except that the Wave and I are currently about 1,000 miles apart.

Sincerest thanks in advance.

Best wishes & happy sailing to all.

Bogey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not very good with sailing terms yet, but a good one to know is "Beam" That's the width of your boat.

According to the Hobie Website, the Beam of a Wave is 7 feet.

http://www.hobiecat.com/sailboats/wave/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi augaug,

Sincerest thanks for the response.

I do know that the beam of the Wave is 7' (84"), but the 'footprint' will actually be several inches less.
This is because the hulls flair outward from the bottoms of the hulls to the tops of the hulls.

The beam measures the widest part of the hulls, which for the Wave is actually near the tops of the hulls.

What I would like to know is how wide the bottoms of the hulls are.
This would give me the info that I need in order to install rollers, guides, etc. on my dock, on the beach, in the garage, etc.

For example, the Hobie 14' has a beam of 7'8" (92"), but the footprint is only 80."

Again, thanks so much for trying to help, and an extra 'shout out' for your answering (what must have sounded like a really dumb question) in a patient and cordial way.

Best wishes & happy sailing.

Bogey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So you want the measurement from keel to keel. Gotcha. I figured the foot print would be the entire width, and the entire length. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Matt Miller gave me that dimension for my Bravo just last week, so if there isn't' a wave owner who knows, or can measure for you, he's the guy to ask.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Keel to keel is 69 inches. Centre of skeg to centre of skeg on my boat is actually 68 3/4" and the one I copied for the trailer I built was 69". So near enough ... 69".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I purchased a Trailex SUT450 and just rolled my new Wave onto it. Then I tightened the cradle and rollers. Easiest thing I have ever done. No tape measure.

I liked the trailer so much I added the 48 inch mast stand and now I am all set to go. I will be in the water and sailing in less than 15 minutes.

I am into easy these days.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the info!

augaug,
yes, you are correct...the footprint is actually both the length & the width.
I got lazy in my second post and just said 'footprint.'

I sure wish that I had just said 'keel to keel' or 'skeg to skeg' like you & BigWhoop did.

I guess that's the difference between an 'Old Salt' and a 'Deck Hand,'
& the differece between a 'Captain' and a 'Deck Hand.'

BigWhoop,
thanks, that is the info that I was looking for.
69" will be close enough for my purposes.

I will now be able to put down some ramps/track & rollers (before my Wave arrives) so that I won't have to drag the Wave up over the beach stones when I sail it to my beach for the first time.

I know that I am sort of 'putting the cart before the horse,' but I have the time now, and would rather spend my time sailing (once my Wave arrives), as opposed to installing the ramps/track & rollers then.

Any necessary fine tuning can be done later.

choctaw60,
thanks for the info.
I'm glad that it was so easy for you & hopefully it will be as easy for me, although in my case, the Wave is already on the trailer, and I am just waiting for its delivery.

augaug, BigWhoop and choctaw60,
I simply can't thank each of you enough for showing the interest & taking the time to post on this thread!

Sincerest thanks!

Best wishes & happy sailing to all!

Bogey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bogey,

About a year ago I was on the same boat (pun, pun), I knew I was going to get a Wave and I bought a utility tailer so I could put crossmembers on it to convert it into a Wave tailer. Luckily there were a couple of Waves at my sailing club I could crawl around underneath and measure. I was all set to take my welded up trailer down to Florida to pick up a boat when I bought a boat in Iowa and it came with a trailer. Much easier to drive over without anything on the back of the car.

I enjoy sailing the Wave and my granddaughter thinks it's great.

Experience is what you get just a little while after you need it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Big Whoop, where do you sail out of? LDSC? NSC?
Glad to hear grand daughter enjoys quality sailing time.

email me off line at lunnjohn at magma dot ca....I sail out of KSC on a 1989 SX18 with brand new gray/blue Pentex sails, Sail # 1947.