Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,
i just purchased a 04 Getaway, and I'd like to keep it at my dock, but don't want to leave it in the water, so i'm looking for some way of hauling it out of the water onto some kind of boat lift or custom made dock.
Anyone have something like this or seen one that works?

dont want to reinvent the wheel if I don't need to.

thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Whats the shore and access like? What do you get for wave action- are you sheltered? I'd work that angle first before trying to design/get a lift system.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Could you try something like this:

It was the result of some trial & error. Install 4 anchor points on the deck & use carpet runners. I lift the bow onto the dock, slide it skyward and onward. Works great.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

shore is not an option. its rocky and steep. I could pull it up onto my dock, but then i'd have no dock space. so i want to build a dock to pull it up on, but keep it small and light so i can pull the dock out for winter. i've got a few ideas, but wondered if anyone had already built one.
thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I found a picture of a hobie dock that looked pretty good. hopefully i can figure out how to post it here.

here is a link to the site where I found the pic. hope it works.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... gQfB2oyVAQ

I would like to try to build something like this where the front of the dock/lift sits up on the rocks on shore and the back is on legs in the water.
the Getaway would sit on an angle tilted up at the bow. would that put too much stress on the forestay? I'm thinking that just sailing with the main would put a heck of a lot more stress than just the weight of the mast.
Also, I thnk the wheels are overkill here and would rather just have some cross members that the hulls would sit on. I'd put some trailer bunk carpet on the wood for the hulls to slide on. Only concern there would be pressure points on the hulls causing an indentation on the rotomolded plastic. at the stern, it would sit on the keel, but at the bow it would sit forward of where the keel starts.

any thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

MChristo's picture:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks Mary,
how do you make the pic do that?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I went to the Google page you linked. Various things on the page, but the main pic is in the middle. Right-click on the picture, and a menu comes up. Click "properties." You get a new box, which includes: "Address (URL)" with a web address. Select ALL the address (this one runs to 4 lines) and COPY.

Come back to your forum reply box, and click "Img". You get 2 image tags in square brackets. PASTE the address between them. Preview your post to make sure it worked.

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You said something about a boat hoist, i have one at the yacht club where mine is stored. Making a lifting tackle is really easy if you have wing seats, you just tie bowlines around the back crossbar at each end and tie two more around the front mountings for the wing seats. From there you can attach a line via carabiner or bowline to each of your loops, all running up to a central ring or hook.
If it helps good, if that didn't make any sense, sorry.

-Corey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just built a wood hoist out of pressure treated wood. It works great on both my H18 and H16. The shallow side is a fixed 'shelf' that I lift one end of the boat onto. On the deep side I use a 6-1 pulley system attached to a 2"x6"x10' to raise the other end out of the water.

Tips for building wood hoists
Wood swells when wet, allow adequate tolerances between moving wood parts.

Make sure you can drain the hulls. This means that your hoist needs to be able to lift the front way out of the water while slightly elevating the rear.

Hardness wins, countersink hardware so that your boat only hits wood. Done right a wood hoist will be better for your boat than a 2,000 dollar aluminium hoist.

generic hardness reference manual
steel, aluminium, gelcoat, wood, girlfriend, mud.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

-Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I too just built built a ramp for my Getaway.

it is essentially a 4 x 12 ramp dock with 3 cross beams for the hulls to ride on. The first cross beam is close to the waterline and the second and third cross beams are progressively further above the waterline to about 24". When pulled up onto the front two beams, the boat is significantly above the waterline.
The 3 cross beams are carpeted with stops on the sides to prevent it from sliding sideways off.
I have a trailer winch bolted to a tree on shore and attach the strap to the front cross bar and winch it up the ramp.
I will post pictures next week.
I was too busy sailing (finally) to take them this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I finally figured out that I had to put the pictures on a website before I could share them here. Hope this works.

I'm really happy with how this ramp/dock came out. its super easy to pull the boat up and when all the way forward, the hulls are about 1 foot above the waterline. I raise the main while its on the ramp and when I'm ready to launch, all I need to do is un hook the winch strap and push it down the ramp while walking on the 2x8 cat walk down the center of the ramp, then jump on and take off. Hopefully it will work on really windy days.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice setup. I take it you're not on tidal water.

The tide is only about a foot where I am, after all I'm on a lake fed by a river 60 miles inland. But in the spring, the water is about 4 feet higher than now, and with all the rain now it's still 2 feet higher than last summer.

I have to drag mine on shore and adjust with the water level.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

no, not on tidal water. and I have pretty good protection from wave action as well in my spot. the water level does fluctuate throughout the year by about 12-14". But even at high water, the stern of the boat would be around 6-8" inches out of the water. the bow would be at least 15 to 20" out is my guess.

I left some length on the poles and the brackets are easy to adjust the height of the entire ramp. If I raise it too much, it will be difficult to pull the boat up onto that first crossbar and get it started up the ramp.

As it is now, at high water in the spring, it would take a really jack A__ to create a wake big enough to knock the boat up off the ramp.
and I'm the only one like that on my lake :)

the whole ramp cost approx $350. but I got the 2" pipe for free.
I don't see how I could have made it any cheaper. the materials add up quickly.
In the end, it keeps the boat out of the water, but is so easy to use that I will get more use out of it vs. keeping it on the trailer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wood boat hoist mentioned a month ago.