Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A Hobie 18 was posted on the classifieds that appears to have never had the last three digits of the HIN that represent the model year and manufacture year.

Could this have been an oversight at the factory, or maybe replacement hulls? Or do you think it's been altered? Ever seen this before? The owner says both hulls have identical numbers like this.

www.Catsailor.com
www.TheBeachcats.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I posted a note on the BeachCats listing, but will add one here as well: this lady tried to sell this boat to me back in '09, and I have reason to believe that the hulls and aluminum parts have all been sprayed...it is not a "pristine original" boat as she makes it out to be. Many reasons...hulls are missing matching carumba decals (like my personal 1980 set of [soft] hulls in the second picture show); hulls are missing some hardware along the rails (removed for spraying, most likely); mast step is riding quite high off the front crossbar (indicative of a fair amount of use); aftermarket tramp; blocks have UV damage and corrosion, crossbars show unpainted areas next to the hulls; mast shows areas of prior damage / paint...and much more...I have more pictures available for email. The photo's in the classified are also two years old, at a minimum. Missing VIN digits add another question mark, but perhaps they were accidently sanded off during a hull refinish...

As I mentioned in the BeachCats posting, I would estimate that this is likely an average used H18 that has had some work done to it (refinished)...but it simply isn't a "pristine original" as the seller states.

I once drove about 7 hours one-way to look at a 'beautiful, like new' Hobie 18 Magnum...never even turned the key off in my vehicle, it was that much of a disappointment...

Forewarned is forearmed...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

centralmichigansailor wrote:
I posted a note on the BeachCats listing, but will add one here as well: this lady tried to sell this boat to me back in '09, and I have reason to believe that the hulls and aluminum parts have all been sprayed...it is not a "pristine original" boat as she makes it out to be.

Central,

You are talking about a different boat for sale, the one with the missing HIN is kind of a parts boat, missing it's wings, mast, upper castings/rudders etc. in Annapolis and for sale for $500.
http://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/catamarans/p11432-hobie-18-magnum.html
I still would like to know if there is any chance the hulls left the factory without the last three digits of the HIN.

I believe the one you posted a comment to (are you csb?) was this one.
http://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/catamarans/p11433-1980-hobie-18.html
She has now reduced the price to $2,800, after some comments, from the original $6500. That seems reasonable now for a complete Hobie 18 with trailer, unless inspection uncovers fundamental damage other than age. Sails look really good.

www.Catsailor.com
www.TheBeachcats.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

centralmichigansailor wrote:
I posted a note on the BeachCats listing,

Also, please, I'm begging you.

It's "TheBeachcats.com" or "TheBeachcats", I wish I owned the domain Beachcats, but I don't.

www.Catsailor.com
www.TheBeachcats.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think there may be a possibility of a boat leaving without the full hull number, although I don't ever recall hearing of it happening before.

My H17 has the model year 2006, although as I understand it, the last batch of 17s built in the US was in 2003. This would leave me to believe the year isn't engraved on the hull until the hulls are packed for shipping. It would make sense to engrave the serial number on the hull as soon as its built so the hull can be tracked, but leave the year off until the model of the boat is determined. If this is in fact the case, and they forgot to engrave the model year on the hull, then you would have a boat with only a partial HIN.

By the way, I would expect that particular boat is from early 80s, most likely around '84, based on the hull graphics.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:03 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

srm wrote:
My H17 has the model year 2006, although as I understand it, the last batch of 17s built in the US was in 2003. This would leave me to believe the year isn't engraved on the hull until the hulls are packed for shipping. It would make sense to engrave the serial number on the hull as soon as its built so the hull can be tracked, but leave the year off until the model of the boat is determined. If this is in fact the case, and they forgot to engrave the model year on the hull, then you would have a boat with only a partial HIN.

That's exactly the condition on my 17. All the paperwork - including the ID labels from the packing boxes - indicates it's an '07 with the full HIN. However, the "07" is missing from the engraved number on the sterns.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I can see the model year not being etched until the hull is used to build a boat, but wouldn't the manufacture date be etched immediately?

www.Catsailor.com
www.TheBeachcats.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I also have a Hobie 18 that is missing the last three digits of the HIN, so I guess it has happened more than once that hulls have left the factory without the last three digits. Some insurance companies will not insure a boat without a complete hull number, some will. I had luck with the company recommended by U. S. Sailing. I believe they are called: The Gowrie Group.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I think there may be a possibility of a boat leaving without the full hull number, although I don't ever recall hearing of it happening before.

I wouldn't say this is common... but yes, it does happen.

Serial numbers are / were done in stages. Hulls are basically the ccm(model)xxxx(month). They do not become "boats" until boxed. They commonly finish the year model when already in the box, so could have been missed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)