Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Minn Kota EM controller
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone know where to buy just the electronic control module and the remote speed controller? I want to rig up my new PA and I do not want to use a 5 speed switch.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Seen one on eBay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So you have a motor and mount, you just need these?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That is exactly what I am looking for. Problem is that I can't find just those two parts anywhere. Everything on Ebay seems to be vintage Maximizer units. Where can I find them?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As far as i know it's part of the (Outboard) Engine Mount setup. They make a single motor and dual saltwater motor system.

These electric trolling motors mount on the cavitation plate of an outboard or stern drive lower unit, so they are completely out of sight. Because there is no stowing or deploying required, the EM motors are always ready to use. When the boat is on plane, the Engine Mount motor rides completely out of the water so it will not affect the normal performance of the boat or engine.

Bassyaks has special system sold to them as a dealer, as the remote unit is paired with a standard trolling motor without the handle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You could build your own system do a search on pulse width modulation 30 amp 12 volt. There are various manufactures of these electronic modules.It's just a simple variable speed control for a DC. Motor.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Or you could just buy the MotorGuide VariMax™ Transom-Mount Motor for $249.00 and be done with it. Pull the head off, extend the cables, and mount it behind the seat. The handle will extend out 12" so you have mounting options.

Push-pull direction and speed control
Variable speed with BluVis function display

VariMax puts your boat on top of fish. This easy-deploying motor is held steady by a 100% cast-aluminum mount with locking handles. Experience the push/pull forward/reverse control of the operator-friendly, extendable handle. Digital speed control extends battery life. Includes a BluVis™ speed/battery indicator, a high-torque three-blade prop and a two-year factory warranty. Stainless steel shaft.

This is still the cheapest way to (variable speed) motorize the PA, and no holes drilled.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is this setup any different or better than the standard setup for minn kota bow mount electric motors such as the Riptide SP or is it pretty much the same thing configured/looking different?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is what I ultimately ended up with and it works out extremely well. Just a bit of a diy project but it wasn't too difficult at all and you don't end up with a trolling motor head sitting next to you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45512803@N04/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can't use that unit on any motor designed to operate on the 5-switch set-up. It's a different type of motor.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

TeamGeauxFish wrote:
As far as i know it's part of the (Outboard) Engine Mount setup. They make a single motor and dual saltwater motor system.

These electric trolling motors mount on the cavitation plate of an outboard or stern drive lower unit, so they are completely out of sight. Because there is no stowing or deploying required, the EM motors are always ready to use. When the boat is on plane, the Engine Mount motor rides completely out of the water so it will not affect the normal performance of the boat or engine.

Bassyaks has special system sold to them as a dealer, as the remote unit is paired with a standard trolling motor without the handle.
Has anyone come across one of these mounted on a yak. I am almost tempted to buy a unit and figure it out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
You can't use that unit on any motor designed to operate on the 5-switch set-up. It's a different type of motor.

You can use it and people are using it. It's a PWM so its entire purpose is to be used on a motor that originally uses the 5-switch setup. Minn Kota created it specifically for use for their motors to allow infinite speed. The new units that come with the EM package are just their updated standalone maximizer unit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If that's the case then I stand corrected. Thanks for the information.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I have a Minn Kota EP65 trolling motor running off 24V battery rig, and believe the black box is shot. From an earlier post above, I suspect it's a "control module assembly #2770226" - there are no visible make/model markings, just a white label on top that has been worn off over the years. It looks like there was a large US Flag on the label once upon a time.

The CNA sits between the XPS Charger and the two 12V batteries. Wires from the XPS and the remote variable speed dial go into the box together at the top left side and wires to the batteries come out from the bottome left side. It looks like a super easy swap.

Any suggestions where I could find this black box? Are there newer models that would be a compatible replacement?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wbui7lfotlnp ... CRMRa?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wbui7lfotlnpkuk/AAAanlhMnMrqBruMXowdCRMRa?dl=0