Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler Question???
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok, just got my brand new Pro Angler and love it! I take extremely good care of my gear and want to make sure I'm good. I have the Pro Angler in my garage sitting on it's side on the floor leaning up against the wall. I have a mat underneath, the kind moving companies use. Am I good? Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe Hobie and most other kayak companies recommend storing the boat on its side. Unless something about the PA is different, it sounds like you're doing the right thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great! That's the news I was hoping for. The good thing is I don't plan on it being stored in the garage very often, I plan on it being in saltwater 90% of the time 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I believe the manual says to have it laying down flat, leaning against a wall on its stern, or hanging. I don't remember it saying anything about storing it on its side.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Check out the PVC pipe that some of the trailer guys are using. 4" pool noodles would create no stress on the hull.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie recommends storing the PA flat on it's bottom, or standing it on it's end (rear handle). When I bought my PA the dealer told me not to store, and/or transport the PA upside down or on its side because factors such as heat and its weight can cause the PA to warp or become dented. My PA was dented once from a long transport via truck top sitting on land shark mounts when the sun was full and the temps were high, but after being in the water they disappeared and the hull returned to its original condition. I was told this is normal, but if my PA had been seated on those mounts for a long period of time (days or weeks?) the polyethylene (PA's hull material) would have remained dented and not return to normal. Kind of like the hull material has a short-term memory ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm still a little unsure, some say it's ok and some not. Is there a Hobie rep here that could chime in? Thanks in advance for any additional advise.

Tight Lines All

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Several folks have mentioned that storage instructions are in the owner's manual. Maybe give that a look. I just can't recall what it said.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have read the manuel. It says how to store it and how not to store it, but it doesn't say you can or can not store it on it's side. The manuel does say you can store it flat, but I've read on here some reps say if you do the hull will get flat spots.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok, so I had my PA in the garage on it's side for about 10 days. Loaded it up on Sun to head to the coast and noticed a dent on the side of the hull. Question answered. Don't store a Pro Angler on it's side!