Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Put the Trampolines on my new Tandem Island yesterday and peddled (no wind) for about 4 hours around Lacamas Lake.

I've been wanting to put a Whisker Pole together for downwind sailing in light winds and also a Tiller Extension for sailing from the Tramps when I want to hike out in higher wind.

I was in Harbor Freight today and they had a nice little extendable window washer on clearance for $7.99. Then went to Home Depot and picked up a coated Plant Hook for $0.77 and two Eye Bolts for $1.98. I pulled off the Washer/Squeegee, drilled a hole in the plastic end and screwed in the Plant Hook. Then I screwed the two Eye Bolts into the threads tiller handles on the TI...viola, a Tiller Extension that will double as a Whisker Pole.

Hope to test it out tomorrow if we get a little wind.

Here's the stuff I bought:

1/4"x2" Eye Bolts screw right into new Hobie handles:

It even matches my Dune TI colors, sweet!

My next project is to build a "roll bar" to fit in the Rod Holders and mount the mainsheet block up about a foot to minimize the rope burns on my ears... ;-}

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yesterday I got to try it out as a Whisker Pole and it seemed to work quite well. I moved downwind much better than in the past. I twisted the hook around the mainsheet about 6' from the clew and held it out while in the aft seat. It would work better if it were a couple of feet longer.

Didn't have enough wind to hike out and try it out as a Tiller Extension but I'm confident that it's going to do well.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

good work

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since I always drive from the rear seat I could also use it to lower by center board.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the centerboard extension idea, I'll work on it. I think we'll need a teflon washer to keep the centerboard from locking down (or up). Any problem not having it locked you can think of?

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The only problem not locking down is it will come up when you get flying along and then you will notice you are flying sideways

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yep, I figured I'd need a method to hold the centerboard both up and down with the extension. I noticed that my Whisker Pole fits right in the slot next to the gunwales below the aka directly under the mainsheet cleat. I think I can make it snug enough and/or figure out something to hold it in place.

Once I have a solution I'll create a new post with photos.

I also need to make a longer Whisker Pole and set up a method of holding it besides keeping it in my hand.

I'm having so much fun with my TI, it's almost all I think about! I can't get the grin off my face!

Sailed about 3 1/2 hours today with my 9 year old grandson. Wind was good today. The other day we just peddled since there was no wind. Still we had a blast! Talk about quality time!

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not sure what you mean about not locking the center board down. Now all I do is take my sheet with the furling line attached to the end of it, form a loop, throw it over the center board knob and pull it back. It automatically locks in place. To raise it I use the blade of my paddle to push the knob forward.

The hook on the end of your pole should do the job of pulling the knob back to lower the board without any modification.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yesterday I loosened the tensioning bolt on the Centerboard Knob, it's much easier to raise now. I like the idea of tying the Furling Line to the end of the Mainsheet, haven't tried that yet. I will also look into adding the loop over the Knob to see if that gives me the ability to drop the CB from the aft seat.

It's raining today so I'm not sailing, maybe tomorrow I can test it all out.

Thanks for the feedback!

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm looking to add a downwind "helper". Simplicity would be great. I saw this video and it looks like the guy is using standard Hobie paddle with notches cut out? Anybody done this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pMtDwAJj3I[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KevNC wrote:
I'm looking to add a downwind "helper". Simplicity would be great. I saw this video and it looks like the guy is using standard Hobie paddle with notches cut out? Anybody done this?

Hi Kev. For what it's worth this is what I've done. Used 3 fibreglass tent pole sections and a modified hydraulic clamp around the mast. Simple and works well. When not in use, it collapses to a 3rd length and stores in the AI moulded rod holder.

Sorry for the poor video quality. It's much easier to install without a camera in your hand. Hope this helps.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVrLIBqztsc[/youtube]

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So far my little extension pole is working fine for both a whisker pole for running and it works great for lowering and raising the centerboard (not that I loosened the bolt in the knob on the centerboard). I still haven't set up a fixed mount, I still just hold it in my hand which isn't ideal. I may look into the notch in the paddle idea, not sure where they mounted the "inboard" end.

Slaughter, I like the tent pole "flexi-boom" but I couldn't see how you hold it forward once it's attached. My concern is accidentally jibing unless it's fastened forward somehow.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slick ihop
, very slick
after I mounted 'Der Knob' on my control I was brain draining out on a small auto pilot with 2 servo motors (1 up one down) yet the radius is too big.
Yet you've started the basics. Well Done, friend!

Fred

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote Slaughter, I like the tent pole "flexi-boom" but I couldn't see how you hold it forward once it's attached. My concern is accidentally jibing unless it's fastened forward somehow.[/quote]

It does operate differently to a 'Whisker Pole' and it's called a 'Flexi-Boom' for a reason I suppose. Good point though iHop. I only use it travelling directly downwind to increase the sail area and so far, touch wood, I haven't worn it across the side of my head.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I looked at the video again, and I think, maybe, the other end of the paddle is shoved in the map pocket! I tried it on mine (while trailered) and it seemed like it would stay.

I didn't know it at the time I first saw it, but the "guy" in that video is apparently the chief engineer for the TI.