Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I do not own a boat yet, so I have no other way but to ask. I own a 2005 Grand Caravan and had a hitch installed this week (to tow a used boat home, likely from over 100 miles away, and for a bike rack). Not sure if I'll get a Getaway or Wave. Rather have a Getaway, but if a Wave is for sale I'll settle on a Wave for now.

1) How many inch rise or drop do I need for the ball mount/shaft? Or what height is your trailer (at bottom of tongue, or instead where the top of the ball would be)?
One popular (Pep-Boys and TSC) Reese mount has a 3/4" rise and 2" down, and the other model supports 2" up and 3.5" down.
Or are trailers different enough that this is not easily answered, so I will need to ask the seller? Or are they close enough that I can buy just one ball mount, put the ball on the needed side to get the right height, and then drive to buy the boat? I heard it does not matter if the trailer is 1 or 2 inches off from parallel, either way about the same weight will be on the ball, and such a small angle won't cause any issues (going up or down a sharp hill causes an angle too!).

2) What size ball? I heard at least some use the smallest size - 1 7/8". Almost all kits however come with 2" balls. Pep-Boys has a sale (ends today) - $19 for the ball and mount, which is a good deal, but they are 2" balls, and they require two wrenches to change balls.

thanks,
Eric

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think it's all going to depend on your trailer and the relative height of your hitch. Aim for the trailer connection to be level, but the system is designed to allow minor variations.

My current tow vehicle is a Hyundai Santa Fe, and it needs a slight drop. Previously I towed with a Hyundai Elantra wagon, and it needed a significant rise.

I've had two trailers, and they both used 1-7/8" ball mounts.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks...1 7/8" seems to be the most used for Hobies, a local friend said his have all been 1 7/8" too. I won't see the trailer until I drive xxx miles to buy it (used). Hopefully the seller will give me good/accurate height data.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Seems like most hobie trailers are 1 7/8". My understanding is that 1 7/8" balls are for class 1 hitches, 2" inches are for class 2 and 3 I think. So for our light Hobie Cats 1 7/8" is probably what you'll have.

I have one of these tri-ball hitches and its very helpful because you always have the ball you need and don't need wrenches to take them off.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

the most common ball hitch now adays is 2" which I bet is now the standard. I haven't seen a new trailer being sold with a 17/8' ball

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My local Hobie dealer said the same thing...arg, nothing can be easy. I did not see many 1 7/8" balls locally, matching what you're saying. Good to standardize though - why bother have two that are so close in size. Now if I can just find a used Wave or Getaway in NYS for sale!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

1-7/8" balls were STD years ago when many Hobies were built. Now the 2" ball is the STD. A trailer built for a 1-7/8" ball will not fit over a 2" ball. The person selling the trailer should know

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Interesting idea to quickly change balls:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008F ... tive&psc=1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cny_ap wrote:
Interesting idea to quickly change balls:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008F ... tive&psc=1

Its a great idea in theory, untill it gets filled with grease and sand.

I have a variation of the tripple ball one shown above, with just the 1 7/8" and 2" ball. I dont tow anything with a 2 5/6" ball.

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yea, a double ball is a lot simpler, nothing to wear out.